• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsMaryland's Formicarium Journal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted May 11 2020 - 4:48 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Alright – so this is my first time making a journal – so it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I decided to start experimenting with making petri dish formicarium, specifically because my Tapinoma sessile colony is getting larger than I thought they would and are taking up a lot of test tubes in a plastic bin in my basement. I… well… want my test tubes back...

So I first took some deep petri dishes and drilled three holes in them. My plan for hydration is to have a piece of vinyl tubing going on top of the hydrostone with a sponge attached so I can syring water inside and not have to take the entire vinyl tubing out when refilling it – because that's just irritating for me. The hole that's on the top-ish side is the hydration port

IMG 3099

Next – I attached vinyl tubing to the left and right side where the ants will go in.

IMG 3100
IMG 3101

And proceeded to plug the holes up so when I pour hydrostone… so it doesn't make a mess :)

IMG 3102
IMG 3103
I then proceeded to pour the hydrostone.
IMG 3106

Then poured vermiculite on the hydrostone to give it a nice texture. Now why? Well… apparently it's rather absorbent and I put a bit in my tarantula substrate for this purpose – but more importantly: I like how it looks...

IMG 3107

After the hydrostone cured I made the "hydration port".

IMG 3108
IMG 3109
IMG 3111
IMG 3110

Afterwards – I took the lids and drilled three holes on the top. The first hole is for ventilation where I put a piece of mesh on top. The other two on the side are going to be covered with tape and when I want to water that area, I can just remove the tape. This is mostly because I am not sure how much moisture the "hydration port" is going to provide the nest.

IMG 3104
IMG 3105

FINALLY – I attached the lids onto the petri dish using hot glue. I know that hot glue isn't the most "ant proof" thing in the world, and epoxy or silicone is better (I am assuming stronger).

But –

1) I am all our of silicone and don't have epoxy

2) I plan on keeping Tapinoma sessile in these, and from my experience, they aren't the most bitey ants, and if it turns out they are… lesson learned.

3) I really can't be bothered to go to amazon and by silicone or epoxy and wait a week (or even 2 day shipping)

But all in all – I think it turned out rather well and am looking forward to testing it out on this Odorous House Ant colony – I will document how that turns out on this journal. If this is successful – I will try moving some of my other colonies into these kinds of set ups. Here's the finished product:

IMG 3115

I also plan on making many adjustments as I further this design – like making sure the ventilation hole and syringe holes are directly across from the hydration port… because that's driving me crazy – and making changes to the hydration port once I see how well it works (if it even works…).

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 11 2020 - 4:50 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Very nice!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users