• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello Colorado Ant Enthusiasts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ACaseoftheMondays - Posted May 9 2018 - 2:04 PM

ACaseoftheMondays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

I figured I should probably finally make a profile and stop lurking. I started keeping ants a couple years ago and have learned a lot since, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming season. I enjoy making formicaria and have included some pictures of some that I have made in the past. I recently got a 3d printer, which has been very useful in the hobby. It is really nice being able to connect anything to anything. I've also attached some pics of some first drafts of some of my 3d printed formicaria. I would love to get some feedback from you guys on any of these, or just meet some people from around the area. If you have any questions, let em rip.

Grout Formicaria
Grout Formicaria Scale
Blue Grout 2
Blue and White Printed
Blue Printed
Tetramorium Colony
Gray Printed
White Printed

Test Tube Transfer

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline Derpy - Posted May 9 2018 - 2:18 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
I really like the 3d printing nests! They look sleek;)

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#3 Offline ken14400 - Posted May 9 2018 - 4:31 PM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

i really want the dome thing looks pretty cool

#4 Offline smares - Posted May 9 2018 - 5:30 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado

welcome! the ant igloos are cool looking.

#5 Offline Waganga - Posted May 9 2018 - 8:48 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Hi from another Coloradan!

I also like your 3D printed setups. :) They look really nice! How do you decide how to design their layout, chamber sizes and shapes etc?

Would it be possible to print one of those test tube boxes with four test tube connections?

I know some other Colorado newbies on here have been asking around: do you know any good reliable anting spots?

#6 Offline ACaseoftheMondays - Posted May 10 2018 - 5:01 AM

ACaseoftheMondays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Thanks for the compliments, everybody! Ant igloos, what a rad name!

Hi from another Coloradan!

I also like your 3D printed setups. :) They look really nice! How do you decide how to design their layout, chamber sizes and shapes etc?

Would it be possible to print one of those test tube boxes with four test tube connections?

I know some other Colorado newbies on here have been asking around: do you know any good reliable anting spots?

1.- As far as the layout, this one is for smaller species like Tetramorium, etc. I basically started by deciding on a width for the 'corridors' (6mm seems good for a Tetra queen), and then just fitting in as many chambers as I could like a puzzle. The overall height is determined by the test tube height, but the floor of changes height so that the chambers have differing depths. I really tried to keep the chambers small and cozy for this one, but I plan on trying different things for different species in the future.

2.- The test tube boxes can certainly have four connections, I would just need to move the air holes to the sides. These are for founding colonies, so that I don't have to keep feeding them in their test tubes. It also provides a way to introduce clean tubes so they can move. Also made these (pics below), which serve as just connectors. (These have been incredibly handy.)

3.- The best anting spots I have found have been on trails which run alongside rivers. Areas around waterways aren't normally sprayed with pesticides, so they are usually rich with diverse colonies. Open gravel areas in empty lots are usually full of Pogonomyrmex. I don't have much luck with Camponautus below 6000 ft. I've also never been able to find P. Imparis, but they are apparently connected to Gambel Oaks.

Connectors

Edited by ACaseoftheMondays, May 10 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 10 2018 - 7:16 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Way to do something different and not use edges. Curves all around! 

There's actually a "Super awesome officially formal Colorado thread" already created. Introduce yourself to the group!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users