• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Non-parasitic Lasius sp. Ottawa , Ontario. ID help needed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rbarreto - Posted May 9 2018 - 4:42 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

1. Location: Ottawa, Ontario
2. Date of collection: 07/05/18
3. Habitat of collection:  In a forest in the middle of the city. Very close to a river, the soil was very moist and it had not rained in a few days.
4. Length (from head to gaster): for some reason I seem to have lost my ruler but she is definitely >10 mm (quite a bit bigger than my 8mm L. umbratus queens).
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: In the pictures she looks brwonish but in person she is almost black/grey.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: The huge gaster and small head lead me to believe it is non parasitic.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Very calm.
8. Nest description: Under a rock in moist soil.

9. Nuptial flight time and date: N/A

I believe it is one of these L. niger, neoniger, alienus or pallitarsis.

wJNTsvUl.jpg

oJqaB7Ol.jpg

vczIVsal.jpg

Edited by rbarreto, May 10 2018 - 12:38 PM.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 10 2018 - 3:59 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Probably Lasius alienus, though there is a chance it could be  Lasius neoniger.

• rbarreto likes this

#3 Offline rbarreto - Posted May 10 2018 - 5:19 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

If you don't mind me asking how did you come to that conclusion? I'm trying to get better at this so I don't have to keep spamming the ID thread with posts.

Check our my store here!

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 10 2018 - 5:25 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I don't think we can really tell with these pics But I know Lasius pallitarsis has golden hairs and an extra tooth while I believe alienus has an absense of scape hairs, so we really can't tell from these images

• rbarreto likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline rbarreto - Posted May 10 2018 - 5:44 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

These are two other pictures I took while testing out the macro lens, maybe they will be useful. If needed I can take more pictures in about 5 days when I check on her again. Also is there something obvious that eliminates L. niger?

rJLodJpl.jpg

jA2gcqil.jpg

Edited by rbarreto, May 10 2018 - 6:13 AM.

Check our my store here!

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 10 2018 - 6:45 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Lasius niger only occurs in very small pockets in Canada. They're virtually not here. I think we may be able to eliminate Lasius alienus based on size, (They're usually 6-8mm) But I think we mainly need basically microscope pics of the antennae and jaws

#7 Offline rbarreto - Posted May 10 2018 - 7:09 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

The following is an old quote from Doctorant on the Yuku forum:

Lasius needs work, and the replies in this thread certainly reflect that. 
The current state of affairs is thus:
-- L. niger (probably two different L. nigers) does in fact occur in North America. 
-- There is a well established population of L. niger in Quebec, known to be introduced from Europe, and possibly another father west in Canada. 
-- There is an native population of a Lasius that has, since E. O. Wilson's 1955 revision of the group, been called the same species, though I suspect that it, like the American populations of L. alienus, L. flavus & L. umbratus , is not the same as the European populations of the same name. A modern revision with a population genetic component will sort this out, I hope.

But to the question that started this: In Ft. Collins, of the two species, the ant you saw flying is almost certainly L. neoniger. There is a subtle difference in the relative sizes of the teeth between this and L. niger, but easier ways to separate them are the lighter brown color and (usually) angular clypeal margin of L. neoniger, both easily seen in this antweb image http://www.antweb.or...hot=h&number=1, contrasting with dark brown color and rounded clypeal margin of L. niger. Furthermore, as noted by MrILTA, L. neoniger is a species of warm, open habitats, while the North American native L. niger is a creature of meadows and mountain conifer woodlands at higher elevation.

I live in Ottawa, which is connected to the province of Quebec. Since he mentions L. niger have an established population in Quebec and possibly farther west, I believe that maybe we should not rule them out as a possibility. That being said I will try my best to get better pictures and the help you guys are providing is very appreciated.

Check our my store here!

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 10 2018 - 7:52 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

The following is an old quote from Doctorant on the Yuku forum:

Lasius needs work, and the replies in this thread certainly reflect that. 
The current state of affairs is thus:
-- L. niger (probably two different L. nigers) does in fact occur in North America. 
-- There is a well established population of L. niger in Quebec, known to be introduced from Europe, and possibly another father west in Canada. 
-- There is an native population of a Lasius that has, since E. O. Wilson's 1955 revision of the group, been called the same species, though I suspect that it, like the American populations of L. alienus, L. flavus & L. umbratus , is not the same as the European populations of the same name. A modern revision with a population genetic component will sort this out, I hope.

But to the question that started this: In Ft. Collins, of the two species, the ant you saw flying is almost certainly L. neoniger. There is a subtle difference in the relative sizes of the teeth between this and L. niger, but easier ways to separate them are the lighter brown color and (usually) angular clypeal margin of L. neoniger, both easily seen in this antweb image http://www.antweb.or...hot=h&number=1, contrasting with dark brown color and rounded clypeal margin of L. niger. Furthermore, as noted by MrILTA, L. neoniger is a species of warm, open habitats, while the North American native L. niger is a creature of meadows and mountain conifer woodlands at higher elevation.

I live in Ottawa, which is connected to the province of Quebec. Since he mentions L. niger have an established population in Quebec and possibly farther west, I believe that maybe we should not rule them out as a possibility. That being said I will try my best to get better pictures and the help you guys are providing is very appreciated.

The Quebec niger population are more to the east, close to New Brunswick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users