• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wild Ant Nest Design Information?

formicarium nest design natural wild

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Waganga - Posted May 3 2018 - 8:41 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Hi All,

I am new to this hobby, and am trying to learn all I can about ant care before I begin catching and raising queens. I'm planning on doing a lot of DIY formicarium making for any queens I catch, using materials like wood, ceramic or natural soil. Ideally, I'd like to identify the genus and species of any queens I catch, and then build some DIY nesting spaces specific to their typical desires.

I'm wondering, is there a database anywhere that shows wild ant nest designs/nest layouts by genus (or even species)? I've looked around some for genus-specific information, but it seems to be scattered all over the place. I don't mind hunting it down as needed, but it would be nice to know if there's a centralized location for this information. (Or, if there isn't, I might start one myself!)

Thanks!
Kayla

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 3 2018 - 8:46 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You can look at some metal castings of ant nests. Simply look up the common name (i.e "carpenter ant") nest casting, and for a good number of ants, there will probably be some sort of image there. As far as I know, there is no database.

The database is a good idea for a thread, it could help others making species-specific formicaria. I might make one in my spare time. Good luck on your future formicarium building!

Edited by YsTheAnt, May 3 2018 - 8:47 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, nest, design, natural, wild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users