• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Etherwulf's Odontomachus simillimus Journal

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Etherwulf - Posted January 14 2015 - 7:44 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohor, Malaysia

I finally settled in my Odontomachus simillimus into her new home after she rejected the test-tube.

Thanks to drtmiller, Mercutia and Gregory2445 for the helpful advice. I created this set-up for semi-claustral queens after testing several others. If anyone is interested in the details, I'm willing to share them  :)

I went with sand for better contrast and it definitely paid off.

7f916c99ff03f5507ba9179f106cb4a743a50ebd

8b4268a958f94019f6f54473dc4e71ac98bdc6bc

1181669af509f45d7c82ddd3e7fa1f7db65b17cf\

P.S I do think that my choice of a heart-shaped box would be excellent for gifting ants 

P.S.S I recommend this as a marvelous anniversary/date present for your significant other. (Results may vary :whistle: )

Edited by Etherwulf, February 25 2015 - 3:32 AM.

#2 Offline dean_k - Posted January 14 2015 - 7:55 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

You know, I thought the substrate was cooked rice and the whole thing was a lunch box only to realize immediately that I am browsing an ant forum.

• mbullock42086 likes this

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 14 2015 - 8:17 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I thought that thing was <3 shaped, but wasn't sure if it was just distortion in the pictures.

#4 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 14 2015 - 8:19 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

YEAH! When I first saw it I thought it was cooked brown rice with seaweed. xD

#5 Offline DesertAntz - Posted January 14 2015 - 8:20 AM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Odontomachus should be a really fun journal to read. Good luck. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#6 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 14 2015 - 8:42 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia
Good luck! I'll pray for your success!

#7 Offline Miles - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:06 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Please keep us updated with this colony. I am keeping Odontomachus clarus with some difficulty, and it's nice to see that others are keeping this genus too.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:33 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The ones I kept became very nervous when there were vibrations or the air was disturbed. Any foragers would make a beeline back to the nest, and cower in fear until the environment became still again.

I honestly would have used a more earthy substrate, because sand doesn't really absorb or hold onto water very well.  But it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Be as careful as you can when removing the lid.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#9 Offline Etherwulf - Posted January 17 2015 - 11:33 PM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

The Odontomachus queen has since laid 5 eggs. The sand has been swapped out for earth. She has been responding well to food and has taken my version of the Bhatkar-Whitcomb diet supplemented by insects. I've added additional protein to mine so I shall observe if it is possible to eliminate the need for insects completely.

In this picture, you can see her clasping her clutch of eggs which she laid over a 24 hour period.

8d936c6a9f2ef1e80339f07653f27fe48a38894b

Edited by Etherwulf, February 25 2015 - 3:26 AM.

• Servercheck and Gregory2455 like this

#10 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 18 2015 - 7:32 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

:( I really need to move south west!

#11 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted January 18 2015 - 9:17 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Nice queen and good luck with her! :)

#12 Offline Etherwulf - Posted January 24 2015 - 4:25 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

She has taken quite well to my version of the Bhatkar-Whitcomb diet which has added protein and sodium benzoate as an antifungal preservative. The added protein has allowed me to reduce feeding insects and I believe that it might be possible to eliminate it completely.

I added excess water to the side of the container to encourage her to move out of the bark which was starting to mould. However, my worries were unfounded as she removed the mould and deposited it on the side, allowing me to remove it easily.

O. simillimus is a prolific egg layer and digger for a Ponerine ant. She has laid 7 eggs in all and has started to build a small mound at the more humid side of the container as picture below. The food and sugar water I gave has been covered by her in soil, probably for storage purposes.

med_gallery_229_310_35506.jpg

The setup before the mound:

med_gallery_229_310_1379239.jpg

Also, I've since caught more Odontomachus. This one shed her wings immediately after I caught her. For the record, she fell down from the ceiling of my house when I was doing the dishes.  :rolleyes:

med_gallery_229_310_232498.jpg

med_gallery_229_310_132164.jpg

I've placed one in an experimental setup below. The agar does not have anything added besides sodium benzoate. I colored it pink to differentiate it from the food I give. Note that the function of the agar is to provide less moisture than a conventional cotton set-up as Odontomachus nest in less humid environments and might fare better in a less humid artificial one.

med_gallery_229_310_787612.jpg

Edited by Etherwulf, February 25 2015 - 3:27 AM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#13 Offline dean_k - Posted January 24 2015 - 7:07 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Also, I've since caught more Odontomachus. This one shed her wings immediately after I caught her. For the record, she fell down from the ceiling of my house when I was doing the dishes.  :rolleyes:

:whistle:

#14 Offline Etherwulf - Posted February 6 2015 - 8:56 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Agar test tube:

She has laid a nice clutch of eggs which she keeps in a hole that she dug near the agar.

med_gallery_229_310_434080.jpg

Also, she has created an entrance by blocking up the entrance. This has made it remarkably easier for to feed her without disturbing her too much. O. simillimus are generally very sensitive to environmental changes despite their appearances. Hence, I've wrapped up her nest portion with aluminium foil which she accesses via this entrance.

med_gallery_229_310_299526.jpg

'Heart box' :

This one has reinforced her mound with bits of jelly that I've fed her. She currently keeps her larvae by the side of the container, making it easy for me to spot them.

med_gallery_229_310_943447.jpg

med_gallery_229_310_661915.jpg

Edited by Etherwulf, February 25 2015 - 3:28 AM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#15 Offline dean_k - Posted February 6 2015 - 9:36 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

The larvae do look quite different.

#16 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 6 2015 - 9:53 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Indeed, Odontomachus larvae are fuzzy.  I only ever saw one, first instar larvae with my colony.  Mine didn't do well, obviously.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#17 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted February 6 2015 - 11:28 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Nice! :)

#18 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted February 6 2015 - 11:29 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Cool looking larvae!

Edited by Jonathan21700, February 6 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#19 Offline Servercheck - Posted February 6 2015 - 9:53 PM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia

Congratulations! It's been a while since I've seen those kind larvae! I'm getting excited too haha!

#20 Offline Etherwulf - Posted February 17 2015 - 7:33 AM

Etherwulf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

I have exciting news. I managed to catch a larvae feeding on video!

Test-tube:

I switched her over to a clean test-tube with soil after the old one got covered in mold. This was my fault because I fed her Green V1 (no preservatives) despite knowing that Odontomachus have a penchant for breaking food up to carry back to their colonies. Thankfully, she has taken to the move quite well. Already, she has 6 eggs and 3 larvae. I've have been feeding her on Orange V3 and Green V2 mostly to provide protein for egg laying and sugar for energy respectively.

med_gallery_229_310_1378802.jpg

med_gallery_229_310_642458.jpg

med_gallery_229_310_631376.jpg

However, today I decided to feed her a live mosquito which she killed quickly in 3 'snaps'. They are fascinating hunters and their hunting behaviour alone more than makes up for the difficulty in raising them as compared to generalist species. Sadly I was too enthralled by her hunting the mosquito that I forgot to turn the camera on.  :rolleyes:

I suppose this will have to suffice. She stored the mosquito up quickly in a hole and butchered it within 1 hour to feed her 3 larvae.

med_gallery_229_310_1013151.jpg

Here's the video:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Heart' box:

I counted 4 small larvae and 6 eggs. 

Meanwhile, she has established a dump site at the side of the box, piling up moldy food at the side. Also, she has used bits of agar to reinforce the mound so I suppose my food doubles as building material  :P . 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how many clips of Odontomachus larvae feeding there are but I do hope these will be of interest to any prospective keepers of Odontomachus. Odontomachus do not have social stomachs and rely on carrying food to the larvae to feed them as shown in the video. The queen gently prys the mosquito from the large larvae at one point to feed another larvae, thus ensuring that all the larvae are fed. She herself has fed as can be seen from her enlarged gastor

So far, I think the test tube setup is very feasible as long as one makes a few tweaks to it. For starters, soil is a must as the larvae require it in order to spin cocoons. Secondly,try feeding non-molding food as much as possible to reduce mold build-up.Insects are fine and should be fed to ensure sufficient protein for larvae growth but remove uneaten food within a day. Also, try to keep part of the test tube covered with aluminium foil as they are very sensitive to light. .

Edited by Etherwulf, March 8 2015 - 4:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users