• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Alza's Subterranean Termite colonies ~

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alza - Posted January 14 2015 - 7:23 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I have four CT test tube set-ups, And I have atleast one pair of termites in each, the others haven't seem to found there match yet. It consists of a small proportion of dirt at the bottom, and cardboard that has been hole punched, and bended to fit perfectly into the tube. Note for people using the CT setup, Water before applying the termites.

Colony one - Ruby

Colony two - Teal 

Colony three - (you guys name it)

Colony four - (you guys name it)

Picture updates coming soon

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted January 14 2015 - 8:38 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Someone once told me that some cardboards have something in them that can kill termites.  I suggest replacing the cardboard with bits of popsicle sticks in at least one setup.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Miles - Posted January 14 2015 - 8:55 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Someone once told me that some cardboards have something in them that can kill termites.  I suggest replacing the cardboard with bits of popsicle sticks in at least one setup.

I have seen cardboard used dozens of times in research situations for termites. I have always been suspicious that cardboard isn't the healthiest material for them, but it has been used with success.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm feeding some of my subterranean termite colonies cardboard.

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 14 2015 - 9:35 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I kept a colony of subterranean termites for months when I was younger, living on corrugated cardboard.  

I captured a secondary reproductive from a wild colony, which produced many nymphs until I accidentally allowed the setup to dry out.  As many logs as I destroyed, I never found a queen.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline Tpro4 - Posted January 14 2015 - 4:29 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Jessica and Kate
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#7 Offline Alza - Posted January 14 2015 - 4:29 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Besides picture updates, I will update this every week.

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 14 2015 - 6:31 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I use cardboard with no issue for termites. It depends what kind of cardboard you use.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted January 15 2015 - 7:12 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I use cardboard with no issue for termites. It depends what kind of cardboard you use.

It might depend on the type of cardboard.  I have seen it in several culturing tutorials.  But one member on this site, and a few other sites mentioned to avoid cardboard.

So I just figured I would mention it.

I have seen exterminators use rolled up cardboard in 24" pvc tubes to check for subterranean termites.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#10 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 15 2015 - 7:26 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Sapphire and Tiffany Blue. Because why not.

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 15 2015 - 10:04 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It might depend on the type of cardboard. I have seen it in several culturing tutorials. But one member on this site, and a few other sites mentioned to avoid cardboard.
So I just figured I would mention it.

I have seen exterminators use rolled up cardboard in 24" pvc tubes to check for subterranean termites.

That is cardboard dipped in poison.

#12 Offline Crystals - Posted January 15 2015 - 10:10 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Actually the ones I saw weren't.  So that the termite would be alive and there when they checked it.  Then they would apply poison.

My Colonies

#13 Offline Alza - Posted January 15 2015 - 8:17 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Colony one - Ruby

Colony two - Teal 

Colony three - Sapphire 

Colony four - Tiffany blue 

~~~~~

#14 Offline Alza - Posted January 16 2015 - 10:17 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I've been told that the easiest way to keep termites is to get them into a test tube set up, with dirt, and cellulose powder. Which is said to be cheap, and used in studies of termite colonies. They also said the colony was only fed cellulose powder and its been alive for 20 years. What are your thoughts on this ?

#15 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 16 2015 - 2:16 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Definitely because termites eat the cellulose...

#16 Offline Alza - Posted January 19 2015 - 8:57 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Sapphire and tiffany up for sale! - sapphire has three reproductives(male or female) hanging out together, but i havent seen the others. Guessing they died. I havent seen any in tiffany. I'm also willing to trade!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users