On April 12, I found a flight of Prenolepis imparis at my school and managed to find nine queens. Of those nine queens, two had wings and were likely infertile. One of the fertile queens had an injury on her gaster that was oozing at the time of capture, but it's mostly healed and she's acting okay now. They are all living in test tubes. I put four queens on their own, put the two winged queens together, and placed three more queens (including the injured one) together. A few days later, one of the winged queens was dead and had mold growing out of her gaster. I placed the remaining alate with the three queen colony. The drawer they are in averages about 75°F.
I really like the golden-brown coloration on the queens.
Here is their progress as of today:
Single queen, about 8 eggs. Queen slightly physogastric.
Single queen, 1 egg. Queen slightly physogastric.
Single queen, no brood. Queen slightly physogastric.
Single queen, about 4 eggs. Queen very physogastric.
Four queens. One has an injured gaster, one is winged and likely infertile. Winged queen alternated between relaxing with other queens and pulling at cotton. No brood. All queens slightly physogastric.
Photos time! Note: all photos were taken before an alate died and the other was transferred.
Edited by Mettcollsuss, February 9 2019 - 11:40 AM.