• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BMM - Posted April 20 2018 - 11:40 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I'm looking for some advice. I have two Camponotus colonies and neither is doing particularly well. I caught both queens last spring. Prior to hibernation one colony had 6 workers and the other had 12. Now they're at 2 and 5 respectively. Both have tons of eggs and larvae, along with a few cocoons, but it seems like every week another worker or two dies and I'm not sure why. I hibernated them at 50-55°F for 4 full months, November through February. Since taking them out of hibernation I've kept them at about 80°F. I feed them once a week, giving them a small cricket and enough sugar water to fill up their gasters. As far as I know I'm following the basic rulebook, but clearly something's not working.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 20 2018 - 1:54 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Try upping feedings, my friend derpy feeds his Camponotus every other day and they have almost thirty workers and that number in brood as well.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline KBant - Posted April 20 2018 - 2:21 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

how are you heating them? are you heating the whole formicarium or just one side? i do the latter and my camponotus are doing well. http://www.formicult...-modoc-journal/

you'll see in my journal that i went down to 2 workers a couple weeks ago! now at 10. 

#4 Offline Hunter - Posted April 20 2018 - 2:54 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

i need to feed mine every 2 days at 10 workers

#5 Offline KBant - Posted April 20 2018 - 3:00 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I feed daily. My larvae need da protein.

#6 Offline BMM - Posted April 22 2018 - 2:36 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Well it sounds like I need to feed them more often. I'll up the frequency and hopefully things improve.

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 23 2018 - 1:59 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Also, be sure nothing in the environment such as mold is killing them. Be sure to provide lots if sweet liquids too.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users