• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Yucatan, Mexico - April 20, 20018

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rbaezam - Posted April 20 2018 - 11:25 AM

rbaezam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Body:
1. Location of collection in my backyard at my house (Yucatan, Mexico)

2. Date of collection April 20, 2018
3. Habitat of collection in a house surrounded by a lot of vegetation
4. Length 5mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture shiny with black head and gaster, and dark brown thorax
6. Distinguishing characteristics At first I wasn't sure if it was a queen or male, because the small gaster... but I put her in a test tube to be sure and after a couple hours she remove her wings so I guess she's indeed a queen
7. Anything else distinctive
8. Nest description

9. Nuptial flight time and date April 20, 2018 in the morning (like 7am)
10 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

Pics below. In case it's hard to ID with these pictures, I'll try to get better ones.

4g3Z8eQ.jpg

iIuEPdC.jpg

pryXDtp.jpg

De06eMP.jpg

3e4qQI1.jpg

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 20 2018 - 11:48 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Megalomyrmex drifti. Oh, how I wish I lived in a tropical place. You should create some journals for all these cool ants that you find!

#3 Offline rbaezam - Posted April 20 2018 - 12:48 PM

rbaezam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Megalomyrmex drifti. Oh, how I wish I lived in a tropical place. You should create some journals for all these cool ants that you find!

Wow thanks! I really think you are right with the ID, this is the first time I caught a queen of this species so I'll need to do research about how to care for her. I'm not even sure if she's fully claustral or not.

And yeah, I'll create a journal of these new queens, it's great to live in a neotropical region.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users