• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ontario Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 23 2018 - 3:47 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

i found absolutely nothing in Mississauga for like an hour of searching XD

Where were you looking?

prenolepsis imparis

I mean was the area you were searching like? You mentioned you were surrounded by buildings, that may impact the kinds of species you can find.

i went to the parks near my area

#22 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 23 2018 - 7:31 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

i found absolutely nothing in Mississauga for like an hour of searching XD

Where were you looking?

prenolepsis imparis

I mean was the area you were searching like? You mentioned you were surrounded by buildings, that may impact the kinds of species you can find.

i went to the parks near my area

Well since I'm new to this hobby I can't say for certain how well ants are distributed throughout cities. I would guess that even though you are in a park you may be feeling the effects of habitat fragmentation. Since the park you visited is isolated from other habitats, the species richness is likely much lower and the ants in the park may only be the kind that can survive in/distribute through urban conditions. I am no expert on Prenolepis imparis so I cannot say how they would fair in that setting. That being said, if they are in the park it could just be that you did not look for long enough, it was still too cold outside, or possible you were looking in the wrong places. You may have more luck today as the weather network predicts higher temperatures. 

More on habitat fragmentation: 

http://www.els.net/W...d-a0021904.html

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#23 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 23 2018 - 9:12 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Prenolepis imparis  is found in hardwood forests

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#24 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 23 2018 - 9:13 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Prenolepis imparis  is found in hardwood forests

oh don't think there's much of those here

#25 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 23 2018 - 11:03 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

While hoping to find Prenolepis imparis during lunch I decided to flip some rocks and logs over and in a short period of time managed to discover quite a variety of species. I found what I believe to be Stigmatomma pallipes, several Solenopsis sp. and a few Formica sp.

*EDIT*  I also found a species which I have now identified as Tapinoma sessile

Edited by rbarreto, April 23 2018 - 11:12 AM.

Check our my store here!

#26 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 23 2018 - 11:06 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

you don't have to rub your luck in my face you know  :/  :/  :/

#27 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 23 2018 - 11:09 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

But I didn't get anything either  :(  :*(

Check our my store here!

#28 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 23 2018 - 11:13 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

at least you found a colony i can't even find worker ants here

#29 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 23 2018 - 4:29 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

I've brought up the disparity in ant databases before in this thread:  http://www.formicult...web-or-antwiki/

Antweb.org says no Prenolepis Imparis in Ontario while antmaps.org say they are local.  I do think that with a province as large as Ontario even if a particular ant does reside here, it certainly won't be found everywhere in the province. But the species variety would change more between north/south than east/west as do the climate differences. For those of us closer to Quebec (me!) another indicator would be to see if that province listed a species. Still no sure way to know unless someone actually caught a species in your area.

My online ant spreadsheet

#30 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 23 2018 - 5:09 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Antweb is both incomplete and outdated. I think it's better to use something like Antmaps 

• Lazarus likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#31 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 24 2018 - 10:17 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

has anyone found any new queens lately?

#32 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 24 2018 - 11:28 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I found what I believe to be 3 Lasius umbratus queens today. The weird thing is they were all huddled under the same rock together and appear to be very friendly with each other. I feel as though a parasitic species would not be polygynous, they may decide to just kill each other who knows. It is possible I got the ID wrong but they look exactly like the pictures on antwiki.  I'll keep them all in the same test tube for now.

Edited by rbarreto, April 24 2018 - 11:32 AM.

Check our my store here!

#33 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 24 2018 - 11:41 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I found what I believe to be 3 Lasius umbratus queens today. The weird thing is they were all huddled under the same rock together and appear to be very friendly with each other. I feel as though a parasitic species would not be polygynous, they may decide to just kill each other who knows. It is possible I got the ID wrong but they look exactly like the pictures on antwiki.  I'll keep them all in the same test tube for now.

nice i still havent found anything XD

#34 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 24 2018 - 11:51 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I'm lucky because I work around a huge forest that also used to be a quarry so the place is filled with small rocks that I can flip over. Almost every single rock I flip over has a colony under it. I kinda hate doing this though because I hate destroying their homes. Hopefully May is kinder with nuptial flights.

Check our my store here!

#35 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 24 2018 - 11:57 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I'm lucky because I work around a huge forest that also used to be a quarry so the place is filled with small rocks that I can flip over. Almost every single rock I flip over has a colony under it. I kinda hate doing this though because I hate destroying their homes. Hopefully May is kinder with nuptial flights.

mail/ship me some ant please...

#36 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 24 2018 - 4:55 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I believe Canadian anter is looking to sell and he is much closer to you, maybe you guys can work something out. :)

Check our my store here!

#37 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 24 2018 - 5:03 PM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I believe Canadian anter is looking to sell and he is much closer to you, maybe you guys can work something out. :)

i did buy some from him

#38 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 25 2018 - 4:36 PM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

has anyone found any prenolepsis imparis yet?

#39 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 26 2018 - 9:15 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Were is this place? I wish I had that kind of luck. Spent over an hour last weekend with son flipping rocks, rolling logs, checking under lose bark and ... nothing.

With the rain these past two days tomorrow may be flight day but I won't have much time to look.

My online ant spreadsheet

#40 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 26 2018 - 9:29 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Were is this place? I wish I had that kind of luck. Spent over an hour last weekend with son flipping rocks, rolling logs, checking under lose bark and ... nothing.

With the rain these past two days tomorrow may be flight day but I won't have much time to look.

Due to the nature of my work I can't reveal that information (not accessible to the public anyways). But! If you want to go to a place that is guaranteed to have some ants, there is a park called Stony swamp which is host to the social parasite Lasius minutus. They build huge mounds so they are easy to find.

Here's a map of how to get to the mounds:

XixdcQfl.png

Edited by rbarreto, April 27 2018 - 11:14 AM.

• Lazarus likes this

Check our my store here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users