• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogaster queen killing her own worker

crematogaster cerasi lineolata

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zmagz - Posted April 19 2018 - 6:39 PM

Zmagz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

So I have a Crematogaster cerasi/lineolata colony with about 12 or so workers and I have them in a test tube setup. The cotton that they drank water from was very very moldy so I decided to move them into another tube. I did the usual attach another tube and expose light on the tube they are in and keep the other one dark. Then I went to do homework and a minute later I look back over to see the queen fighting a worker and she killed it. I'm not sure if it was the light or what so I decided to keep the lamp on and examine the queen's behavior. The queen would open her mandibles in aggression to some of her workers and she started taking the brood from the main pile and making a new pile. Then she grabbed a worker in her mandibles and I was really really confused. I tapped on the tube because I didn't want another one to killed. When I tapped on the tube she dropped the worker. I immediately turned off the lamp. It has now been a few days and she hasn't killed any more workers except the one. I don't know if this is a common thing for crematogaster or not? Does anyone know why she might do this or what caused this weird behavior to happen?

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 20 2018 - 7:59 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
The worker might have been defective, or may have posed a threat to the queen. Maybe the queen got stressed and killed it. There are a variety of reasons why this may have happened.
  • rbarreto likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted April 20 2018 - 10:20 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
It’s possible that it was stressed out prompting a defensive response (chemical excretion) which might have confused one of the ants to the point of trying to kill each other.

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 21 2018 - 10:17 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

It’s possible that it was stressed out prompting a defensive response (chemical excretion) which might have confused one of the ants to the point of trying to kill each other.

Adding on to this, the queen may have felt defensive due to the worker possibly trying to move the queen into the other tube forcefully. In larger colonies, this is not dangerous to any participants, but it is possible that small colonies' queens, such as yours, may get stressed out faster and therefore may harm her own colony members.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, cerasi, lineolata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users