• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Virginia] I have a huge Camponotus problem and need help O.O

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline IcarusSkybound - Posted April 14 2018 - 12:07 PM

IcarusSkybound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

This is my first year anting and I've been super excited. I lucked out pretty hard and my girlfriend found a queen Camponotus pennsylvanicus. in her backyard about a week ago so I was able to catch her and set her up in a test tube. All is going well there. The problem appeared when I started taking apart her shed today. It was in pretty bad condition so I was expecting termites but instead we found a huge colony of Camponotus pennsylvanicus. and another huge colony of Crematogasters. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Crematogaster queen but I was able to capture a LOT of camponotus workers and alates. That would have been perfect if I had found their founding queen, but I was not able to locate her. There has to be 100-200+ ants in this jar  and some of the alates have begun ripping off their wings so I have no idea what to do. Since they havent mated I know that they arent really reproductively viable. I have a few questions and could use some guidance. 

1) Is it worth trying to set up test tubes with the virgin queens accompanied by a few workers?

2) Do people buy virgin queens or male altes for any purpose?

3) If I'm able to find male alates from another colony will I be able to put them in test tubes with my virgins and have them mate successfully? 

4) How long will all of these virgin queens tolerate being together before there is an all out war inside of this jar? 

5) Should I just take the entire jar somewhere and let the ants go?

I don't think trying to introduce these workers to my already established, yet tiny, colony is worth the risk and I couldn't really find the brood chamber of the wild ants to even attempt brood boosting. What should I do?

TLDR: Found a wild colony in a shed and don't know what to do with the captured ants.

Founding: 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus x4

Camponotus Chromaiodes x4

Camponotus Nearcticus x9

Camponotus Snellingi x1

Tapinoma Sessile x1

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 14 2018 - 12:36 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

1. No. Like you said, they are virgin and will not lay eggs. But if by "worth it" you mean just for the fun of it then sure. The'll just die out at some point.

2. No... or at least I don't think so. They won't reproduce because they are virgin, and they won't mate cause that really never happens in captivity(except for certain species in certain situations).

3. Successfully getting them to mate in captivity is practically impossible.

4. They are from the same colony, so they will live peacefully.

5. Yes, there is really no point in keeping them.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, April 14 2018 - 12:36 PM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline IcarusSkybound - Posted April 14 2018 - 12:41 PM

IcarusSkybound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

1. No. Like you said, they are virgin and will not lay eggs. But if by "worth it" you mean just for the fun of it then sure. The'll just die out at some point.

2. No... or at least I don't think so. They won't reproduce because they are virgin, and they won't mate cause that really never happens in captivity(except for certain species in certain situations).

3. Successfully getting them to mate in captivity is practically impossible.

4. They are from the same colony, so they will live peacefully.

5. Yes, there is really no point in keeping them.

I guess my "huge problem" wasnt so huge after all. I'll release them in a little bit =D

Founding: 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus x4

Camponotus Chromaiodes x4

Camponotus Nearcticus x9

Camponotus Snellingi x1

Tapinoma Sessile x1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users