• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dean's Formica subsericea journal

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 17 2015 - 3:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

A few questions:

• Did the Formica clear the substrate from where they chose to stay in the nest, or was it already like that?

• Have you observed Myrmica drinking from the new liquid feeder?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#42 Offline dean_k - Posted January 17 2015 - 3:18 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

They are in my fridge now. I plan to take them out 4 weeks later and see whether they will unblock the entrances. If not, I will put them in my fridge for another month.

Soon after they moved in, workers started to relocate the substrate to block both of the entrances. They did not clear substrates but did relocate some to block the entrances. They even took some from outworld into the nest to complete their blockage.

I've yet to see a Myrmica drinking from it but I saw some traces of their presence around the feeder.

#43 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 17 2015 - 3:21 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

That's a really good sign.  It's a sign of ownership, establishment, and territory.

As you no doubt observed with your "Growth Chamber," sealing off entrances, when given the opportunity, indicates the ants are secure in what they believe to be their nest.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#44 Offline dean_k - Posted January 17 2015 - 3:37 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Yes, sealing off entrance is a clear indication that they feel home and secure and ready to go sleep in cold... (Sad news for me)

They've been in the fridge for about 3 days now and I've been checking them twice a day. Unlike Lasius or Myrmica in fridge, they seem to be oblivious to light and vibrations while hibernating.

Edited by dean_k, January 17 2015 - 3:37 PM.

#45 Offline dean_k - Posted February 12 2015 - 11:27 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 12, 2015

They've been taken out this morning. I gave them 4 weeks of exile in my beer fridge.

Edited by dean_k, February 12 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#46 Offline dean_k - Posted February 12 2015 - 5:48 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 12, 2015 Part 2.

I had to add this update because I saw a single egg ( :blush:  ). A worker is holding it throughout the video but you can see her clearly on 6:00 mark. They were also hell bent on eating and the queen went out alone. I guess it's pretty good that she laid an egg just half a day or so after getting out of hibernation.

The workers are eating a piece of mealworm aggressively. I assume they will feed her soon.

Edited by dean_k, February 12 2015 - 5:49 PM.

#47 Offline dean_k - Posted February 17 2015 - 8:33 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 17, 2015

There is still only a single egg which is always held by a worker. But they've been feeding themselves okay. The queen was also seen eating a piece of superworm.

#48 Offline dean_k - Posted February 21 2015 - 6:48 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 21, 2015

The queen has laid some more eggs. I am counting 7 eggs. It's not a lot considering how much she's been feeding and been fed. She ate a lot. I am surprised the lone egg that was seen earlier didn't turn into larva yet though. Maybe, it was eaten. I don't know.

The wet coconut fiber is starting to mold also. So far, it's contained within a water chamber.

#49 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 21 2015 - 7:39 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Don't worry about mold in the water chambers.  There is a particular species of mold that I've observed eat some kind of nutrient in wood—it's very common to see in driftwoods.

Unlike most Aspergillus, this particular mold doesn't generally spread to other foods or become harmful to ants, and goes away on its own after the nutrients are exhausted.

Looks like these ants are doing about as well as can be expected.  Hopefully you'll see larvae soon.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 21 2015 - 7:40 PM.

#50 Offline dean_k - Posted February 24 2015 - 9:41 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Feb 25, 2015

Not much change. The eggs have enlarged which is a sign that they are growing. I am counting 9 eggs. The queen sometimes goes out on her own to forage. I thought the queen was fully claustral.

#51 Offline dean_k - Posted March 1 2015 - 8:32 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 1, 2015

There are more eggs, I believe, and I see two larvae (@ 2:20 and later).

Other than that, there is nothing else to report.

#52 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 1 2015 - 12:37 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Lucky, my Formica fusca have not done anything since coming out of hibernation...

#53 Offline dean_k - Posted March 2 2015 - 8:15 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 2, 2015

I decided to upload this video because they finally decided that it was perhaps a better idea to group all eggs and larvae together.

About time, girls ...

This species however is boring to watch. I think they may be nocturnal because I don't see them doing much under light but they seem to be far more active in deep shade and probably very active under total darkness.

I am also planning to relocate them once their number exceed 20. The nest itself is capable of holding a lot more but the current outworld is just too small.

#54 Offline Crystals - Posted March 3 2015 - 7:34 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have found that Formica colonies with less than 25 workers are not that active, although you may see 1-2 out foraging frequently.

I am surprised that she laid an egg less than 3 days out of the fridge.  Usually their mound nests heat up quickly in spring, so they often get "false springs" during a warm snap in winter.  They usually wait about 1.5-2 weeks before the queen really starts laying eggs to ensure that it is actually "spring".

I have found that some of my Formica queens will help themselves to food if it is close to the nest and the workers are not bringing it fast enough.  Once the colony grows, there will be more workers to keep her fed so she won't be so hungry, or else the workers will stop her from leaving the nest.

I have also noticed that small colonies are more active at dusk, dawn, and at night, but once th colony grows they become more active during the day.  I am curious to see if their habits change as the colony grows.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#55 Offline dean_k - Posted March 3 2015 - 8:21 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Does yours ever take out garbage?

So far, my colony has never taken out garbage. They did file them up but haven't taken them out.

#56 Offline Crystals - Posted March 3 2015 - 8:54 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

It really depends on the colony.  Even in the same species, different colonies seem to behave differently.  Especially with less than 100 workers or if they have excess room. Every colony is different in some way, and they never cease to amaze me with what they can come up with.

I mostly have Formica podzolica, but 2/3 took out garbage pretty promptly.  About 1 in 3 colonies did not take out garbage until there were over 30 workers.  Some piled it in a spare chamber, or used it to make the entrance of the test tube or tubing narrower.  One colony did their best to jam all garbage in every possible gap between the glass and nest (and they had 15 workers....).

I also have one colony (Formica neorufibarbis) with over 50 workers who decided to pile all dead insect parts in the middle of their test tube and lay all the brood on top of it (despite having an outworld).  I have never seen any of my Formica do this before.  I am hoping their cleanliness improves once the 80 or so pupae eclose...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#57 Offline dean_k - Posted March 4 2015 - 7:13 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 4, 2015

They haven't been taking mealworm too well which means they are sick of the same diet. Which also meant that it was time for rotation of diet.

Hence, blue 100.

I am not entirely sure they liked it but they did show interest and I believe they took few bites. However, I don't think it lasted moist long enough for them to actually eat a lot.

IMG_0273_zpsmgtoh5ew.jpg

Edited by dean_k, March 4 2015 - 7:13 AM.

#58 Offline dean_k - Posted March 6 2015 - 3:13 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

March 6, 2015

Mites !!! Mites alert !

I see mites, Scotty.

Currently, I am seeing a buttload of mites ( I think ). I carefully checked all ants. No mites on them. I don't think they are harmful to ants and they've been apparently chewing on leftover the ants've filed up. The ants may have even eating them actually which explains why they haven't been taking protein actively.

The video focuses on mites crisis after 2:20.

I also see they placed a dead worker on top of their garbage file.

The brood is doing well and I saw no mites on them. Thus far, I think the mites are safe although I am now seriously thinking of relocating them.

Edited by dean_k, March 6 2015 - 3:16 PM.

#59 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 6 2015 - 3:18 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Mites are endemic to a ton of feeder insects.  There is a 99.9% chance they came from those mealworms you've been feeding.

So wherever you move them, you'll continue to see those mites if you continue feeding them the mealworms.  Many antkeepers freeze feeder insects to kill mites and parasites, for that very reason.

There are many detrivorous mites, which only eat waste and dead/decomposing things.  If these mites are not parasitic, there is no need to worry.  If they are parasitic, however, moving the ants will not help, as mites' eggs are bound to follow the ants wherever they go, regardless as to the measures you take to eliminate them.

#60 Offline dean_k - Posted March 6 2015 - 3:21 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

This colony is the only one with mites.

My other colonies have been fed the same mealworms and I see no mites on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users