• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Phoenix' Tapinoma sp? Journal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Phoenix - Posted April 2 2018 - 1:02 PM

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

04/03/2018

Found several dealates staying still, while some running around with wings still intact back on March, 29th. Haven’t found any since then, but considering last year’s haul - I’ll probably find some more queens in the following weeks. Still having some trouble with the identity of these girls; here's an ID thread if you want to look more into it.

4UYi6nk.jpg

lEg5clk.jpggiHwDKn.jpg

Edited by Phoenix, April 16 2018 - 10:35 AM.

• LC3, VoidElecent and Mettcollsuss like this

Colonies

Camponotus cf. albosparsus — Journal

Camponotus cf. auriventris — Journal
Camponotus sp.
Colobopsis spp.
Crematogaster sp.
Nylanderia sp.  Journal
Pheidole cf. parva
Solenopsis geminata — Journal

#2 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted April 2 2018 - 1:31 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood

i laughed way too hard at your avatar.  

also, cool ants.

Edited by Chicken_eater100, April 2 2018 - 1:31 PM.

#3 Offline Phoenix - Posted April 13 2018 - 4:19 AM

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

04/13/2018

I figure now would be a great time to update this journal. While I was checking on my other founding queens, I happened to notice of some of these Tapinoma queens bunched up together on top of one another. Upon closer inspection, I realized that some of them were communicating with their antennae all the while spraying formic acid and jabbing their gasters against one another.

A few moments later, they all halted their duels with only a pair wrapping it up after a few minutes of me taking pictures of them. Interestingly though, the victor groomed the losing queen, for a handful of seconds though before rejoining the other queens. I suspect that they were competing to receive the tile of the dominant egg-laying queen, as I spotted some larvae amongst the brood which wasn't there before when I last checked on them.

Unfortunately, one of the queens seems to be having a tough time. She is having some trouble gripping onto surfaces properly now as she kept dropping downwards whenever I rotate the setup. As for the ex-colony, they're now down to two queens and will probably die out if this keeps up.

JJWEEdx.jpg

• Mettcollsuss likes this

Colonies

Camponotus cf. albosparsus — Journal

Camponotus cf. auriventris — Journal
Camponotus sp.
Colobopsis spp.
Crematogaster sp.
Nylanderia sp.  Journal
Pheidole cf. parva
Solenopsis geminata — Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic