• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone want a Camponotus colony? ( Penang, Malaysia ) *GIVEN AWAY*

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 8 2015 - 5:20 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationPenang, Malaysia
*This colony has been given to another party yesterday! I'll now be on a serious hunt for more queens of species I want!

So... I finally lost all that initial interest in ants after 4 years. Now I only have 1 colony left, a black Camponotus sp. colony of 3 years, which at their prime had over 300 workers plus the queen. Recently, probably due to lack of proper care ( went to Japan to visit family for 3 weeks ), they shrunk and I'm not exactly sure of their population now. ( maybe 200? )

You can have a free ( around 2 year old ) TarHeel Ants Amoba 5x7 formicarium with medium-sized outworld along with them. The formicarium itself is in a 'used' condition, the frame's color fell off over time from rough handling during washing, and one chamber which they always use as their garbage chamber got a little stuff stuck on the glass, even though I tried washing it.

Nice offer right? But there's one condition. You have to care for them well. I'd like it if you could make a journal for them in this forum, if not, just send me regular updates on them. If anyone's interested, PM me.
P.S. I can't ship them out. If you want you'll have to come get them by car. Therefore, they're free! ( except with the condition mentioned above )

How it started.
Camponotus1.jpg

First time in their formicarium, 2 years ago.
IMG_3023.jpg
IMG_3001.jpg

Edited by Servercheck, February 6 2015 - 12:08 AM.

#2 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 8 2015 - 5:34 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

If I lived in Malaysia. -Sigh-. Lol.

#3 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 8 2015 - 5:38 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Yeah... Not that many ant keepers in Malaysia... 

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 8 2015 - 5:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I looked through my records, and the closest person I saw was in Singapore.

Hopefully someone will see this.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 8 2015 - 5:47 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

This offer will be up until someone takes it. I'll of course take care of them until they're taken or until the queen dies ( don't think it'll happen anytime soon LOL ).

#6 Offline InsideAntz - Posted January 8 2015 - 8:19 AM

InsideAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBensalem PA (Philadelphia)
"Once bitten"

You may regret giving it away. Your enthusiasm will return, give it time, and you will be looking for a queen.

See ya soon

#7 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 9 2015 - 12:37 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

I know my interest in ants would probably return soon, but then I can find a new queen and start over. It's pretty easy to find queens here, no need to wait for seasons. I see queens all year round on hot humid nights.

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 9 2015 - 4:07 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wait, you are not interested in ants anymore???

#9 Offline Miles - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:29 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I am very disappointed in this, Servercheck! You've always been a great member to the community. Please reconsider.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#10 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:55 PM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Well, I'm always looking out for new queens. Recently I've been finding plenty of Pheidole sp. queens, but I've already lost a 3 year colony of them because the queens died out. I'm currently looking for another big species, preferably a different Camponotus sp. queen. Or maybe a challenge like an Odontoponera sp. or Odontomachus sp. queen. I wouldn't mind if an Oecophylla sp. queen flew in to my house, or I can try finding a Diacamma sp. queen in the park near my house, or even a Pheidologeton sp. queen from a nearby jungle. 

The thing is, there are just so many interesting species around me that I haven't been trying to keep, scared that I'm not experienced enough. Now that I have a few years experience, I thought I'd try looking for a more 'exotic' species.

So instead of me caring for the colony which I've had for so long, I thought I'd share the joy of keeping a mature colony with someone else.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 10 2015 - 6:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well that sounds a lot better than "I finally lost all that initial interest in ants after 4 years." :P

• Miles likes this

#12 Offline Servercheck - Posted January 22 2015 - 7:33 AM

Servercheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
An interested party has contacted me, so until further notice this offer is closed!

Of course, I might open it up again if it doesn't work out, so other interested people can still check back some other time! I might even have more offers of Pheidole sp. queens. Been finding those nearly every night for the past few days...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users