• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jars

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 10 2018 - 9:25 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Does anyone know where to buy large jars to turn into terrariums for ants? like 5-gallon glass jars. if you know where to get some please message me thx 

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 10 2018 - 10:26 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

https://www.amazon.c...allon glass jar

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 10 2018 - 10:44 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

https://www.amazon.c...allon glass jar

Yeah I want a bigger one that can house like 300-500 workers if built right

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted April 10 2018 - 2:27 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Why not a container of some sort like acrylic or some other plastic or an aquarium tank? Those things are probably a lot more easier and practical to work with and obtain then 5 gallon jars or any large empty jar for that matter.

#5 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 10 2018 - 2:56 PM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Why not a container of some sort like acrylic or some other plastic or an aquarium tank? Those things are probably a lot more easier and practical to work with and obtain then 5 gallon jars or any large empty jar for that matter.

cause then there will be corners and I'm afraid that they'll be able to climb out 

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted April 10 2018 - 3:05 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

They will probably be able climb out either way unless you put a barrier of some sort. (e.g fluon)

#7 Offline dermy - Posted April 11 2018 - 1:03 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Jars suck in my opinion. You can only get so much access to the inside [even with a big opening you can never seem to get inside much]. If you can't access the inside very well clean-up is a hassle and spoiled food will cause mold outbreaks and all sorts of problems. Also ants will will still climb up a jar unless you add some form of barrier, as far as I know I haven't had an ant species that couldn't be kept without a barrier of some kind to contain them.

#8 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 11 2018 - 4:15 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Jars suck in my opinion. You can only get so much access to the inside [even with a big opening you can never seem to get inside much]. If you can't access the inside very well clean-up is a hassle and spoiled food will cause mold outbreaks and all sorts of problems. Also ants will will still climb up a jar unless you add some form of barrier, as far as I know I haven't had an ant species that couldn't be kept without a barrier of some kind to contain them.

well the jar doesn't necessarily need to house ants it could just be a normal terrarium and I think barriers are easy to come by, so that won't be much of a problem

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 11 2018 - 4:29 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

cause then there will be corners and I'm afraid that they'll be able to climb out 

As I watch some tetramoriums scale the glass walls of the fish tank they are in, I question where you're coming at with your logic. Eliminating corners isn't going to stop anything.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#10 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 11 2018 - 5:05 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

As I watch some tetramoriums scale the glass walls of the fish tank they are in, I question where you're coming at with your logic. Eliminating corners isn't going to stop anything.

corners have silicone which makes it easier for ants to climb over the barrier.

#11 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 11 2018 - 5:07 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

corners have silicone which makes it easier for ants to climb over the barrier. Besides i like jar terrariums more than container terrariums

#12 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 11 2018 - 5:20 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

You seem to know exactly what you want and where to find it. 

#13 Offline ken14400 - Posted April 11 2018 - 6:02 AM

ken14400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I know what I want I just don't know where to find a jar big enough that's why I created this forum.

#14 Offline Barristan - Posted April 11 2018 - 7:49 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Buy a regular tank + buy an acrylic or plexiglass plate which will fit exactly on top of it. Find someone (maybe the shop you buy the plexiglass from might do that) with a laser cutter and let him cut out a smaller rectangle so you will have a frame left. Glue that frame on the tank with silicone. You then only apply the anti-escape barrier under the lid.

Alternatively, you could buy a huge acrylic glass cylinder.

Edited by Barristan, April 11 2018 - 7:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users