• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

PSA: byFormica LIGHTYEAR Liquid Feeders "Clogging"

psa byformica lightyear liquid feeder

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 11 2015 - 9:16 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Thanks for all of that great info, it's all very interesting to read!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.† ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#22 Offline Miles - Posted January 12 2015 - 6:18 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Just FYI, I have updated the Crematogaster Journal that Mercutia had mentioned.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#23 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 15 2015 - 2:53 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Jan. 15 Update:

I have been examining the properties of the Blue 100 series of Ant diets for use in the LIGHTYEAR Liquid Feeders.

Previously, I mentioned that Blue 100 & 155 form a sediment of undissolved protein in liquid feeders.

I have had success incorporating these proteins with water by blending them at high speeds (using a food processor or juice blender) with the requisite amount of warm water (35-45 ml) for use in the liquid feeders.

Blue 155 is recommended for this application, as it may be cooked fully without setting into a gel.

If ants will not eat Blue 100 series diets in liquid form, the Blue foods may be mixed with Formula Green 600, or, if Green 600 is unavailable, a small amount of white sugar (do not use honey, brown sugar, or artificial sugars).

If my ants do not want liquid Blue 100 for some reason, I add 20-25 drops of diluted Green 600 (prepared with up to 50 ml hot water), and then 5-10 drops of Blue 100 to the liquid feeder.  The proportions may be modified, as ants will respond differently to different ratios, depending on a number of environmental and biological factors and conditions.

Since I understand that not everyone has access to equipment to blend the liquid, I will continue to examine alternative methods of incorporating the proteins into the water to form a suspension that may be made at home without additional equipment.

Edited by drtrmiller, January 15 2015 - 2:58 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psa, byformica, lightyear, liquid feeder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users