• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Manitobant's tapinoma sessile journal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 25 2019 - 12:32 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
While out at the famous narcisse snake dens here in manitoba I lifted a rock and found a tapinoma sessile colony with about 15 workers and a ton of brood. By the time I got home they moved themselves into a small rolled up leaf that was in the transport container so I just stuck the entire thing in a test tube and hoped for the best. I don't have any pictures currently but I hope to get some soon.

Edited by Manitobant, May 25 2019 - 12:33 PM.

• AntsBC likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 31 2019 - 7:14 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Sadly, the queen has died for an unknown reason. I can keep almost any Canadian ant without problems but for some reason I can never get a tapinoma sessile colony going and the queens always unexpectedly die. Tips for next time?

#3 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 31 2019 - 7:45 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
This usually happens in captivity with this species, for unknown reasons, the colony will usually last a very short time.

Spoiler

#4 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted May 31 2019 - 8:12 AM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Mine has been going well for about 3 weeks. I don't know what I'm doing differently other than starting with a large number. I have a journal here.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 31 2019 - 8:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I have a "free range" colony taking over my kitchen and living room. :facepalm:

• Somethinghmm likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users