• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsAreUs's Myrmecina americana Journal

myrmecina myrmecina sp. myrmecina americana

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 8 2018 - 4:50 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

So I've had this queen for about 3 weeks now treating her like a Myrmica queen. She has only drank sugar water and has refused any sort of insect I've given her, but has shown interest for a short moment inspecting them. I feel that the fact she laid one egg makes me believe I'm keeping her properly so wish me luck!

Also I'd like to point out that the queens are workers and very similar in appearance.

Edited by AntsAreUs, June 26 2018 - 7:27 AM.

• dermy, LC3, Martialis and 1 other like this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 10 2018 - 12:49 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Update 4/10/2018

Just laid her second egg! She constantly cleans and moves the eggs around.

• LC3, VoidElecent and Mettcollsuss like this

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 11 2018 - 4:46 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I just caught 3 more queens, and put 2 of them in the same setup. I wasn't sure if they are polygynous, but they are doing fine together and huddle up.

#4 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 11 2018 - 5:07 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I just caught 3 more queens, and put 2 of them in the same setup. I wasn't sure if they are polygynous, but they are doing fine together and huddle up.

Wow, what was the weather like? where did you find them?

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#5 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 11 2018 - 5:22 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Wow, what was the weather like? where did you find them?

It got up to the high 60F today. I have around 20 stones slabs in my back yard along with some oak trees to create a nice soil for small arthropods. They fly threw the end of fall and come out in spring, which is when I've been catching them.

#6 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 12 2018 - 12:47 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

So the first queen with eggs, I haven't seen the eggs lately. It's either she ate them or stashed them somewhere in the cotton.

They like raw honey!

• noebl1 likes this

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 12 2018 - 12:50 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

M. americana flying in April in Indiana?! I caught my queen around September last year!

#8 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 12 2018 - 12:52 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

M. americana flying in April in Indiana?! I caught my queen around September last year!

I don't think so, they were probably foraging while I collected them. You can also still find Ponera queens.

Edited by AntsAreUs, April 12 2018 - 12:53 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#9 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 14 2018 - 4:21 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I have switched all my queens to deli cup dirt setups that I've also been using for my Ponera. Still no consistently with eggs or feeding behavior. I will update if I get anything interesting out of them.

Edited by AntsAreUs, April 18 2018 - 6:54 PM.

#10 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 28 2018 - 3:42 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

4-28-18

I limited myself to 3 queens because I was already taking care of a lot of semi-claustral queens. So far one queen has 4 eggs, another with 5 eggs, and one with no eggs.

#11 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 28 2018 - 4:24 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I don't think so, they were probably foraging while I collected them. You can also still find Ponera queens.

Ah, you're definitely right. They are semi-claustral, like Myrmica.

#12 Offline disasterants - Posted April 30 2018 - 7:32 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

what's the diference between myrmica americana and myrmecia americana?

#13 Offline LC3 - Posted April 30 2018 - 10:02 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

what's the diference between myrmica americana and myrmecia

americana?

One is a species in the genus Myrmica, a small to medium scavenger Myrmicine ants found primarily in the Northern hemisphere and the other doesn’t exist. Although the genus Myrmecia (bulldog ants) do exist there is no species named americana. They are part of the Myrmeciinae subfamily.

This journal is about the species Myrmecina americana, part of a genus of miniscule leaf litter mite eating Myrmicine ants.

#14 Offline disasterants - Posted May 1 2018 - 8:29 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

what's the diference between myrmica americana and myrmecia

americana?

One is a species in the genus Myrmica, a small to medium scavenger Myrmicine ants found primarily in the Northern hemisphere and the other doesn’t exist. Although the genus Myrmecia (bulldog ants) do exist there is no species named americana. They are part of the Myrmeciinae subfamily.

This journal is about the species Myrmecina americana, part of a genus of miniscule leaf litter mite eating Myrmicine ants.

thanks for the info and i did mean myrmecina americana.

#15 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted May 28 2018 - 6:21 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Nothing really too new except I have the remaining queens that haven't died in petri dishes now. I also got to observe one of my newer queens tending her egg in a way she also breaks open mites. They prop the mites up on their gaster and rotate it around with their 2 front legs and break into it with their mandibles. Instead she was cleaning an egg with this method. Another interesting thing is all the queens I have had laid a single egg right away and carried it around before finding a nesting spot.

#16 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 27 2018 - 11:40 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

6/27/18

These ants are really testing my patience. I have this new setup for one of the queens and she has a cluster of eggs still. :/

ydhN8Fb.jpg

#17 Offline kingz2015 - Posted June 1 2019 - 7:17 AM

kingz2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFlorida
So these queens are semi claustral?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecina, myrmecina sp., myrmecina americana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users