• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

C. novaeboracensis vs C herculeanus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline CNewton - Posted April 5 2018 - 9:26 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

Last year, I had a queen ID'd as Camponotus novaeboracensis.  Is there any easily discernible differences between C. novaeboracensis and C. herculeanus? The mesostoma on my queen is definitely a different color, but it is so dark you can really only see it in the light. I was a bad keeper last year. My queens never made it past larval stages in founding, so I have no workers to look at.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 10 2018 - 9:04 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
C. Herculanus workers will vary more in color I believe (not 100% sure), but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I also remember reading somewhere that they are closely related. Care should be quite similar, either way.

Edited by YsTheAnt, April 10 2018 - 9:05 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users