• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Vaccum

vaccum

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 4 2018 - 4:29 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Here is an ant vacuum I built today. I got three acrylic screw jars for $1.25. By having all the tubing going through the lid, I can catch something and then just swap jars and hunt again. There is a wire mesh at the end of the suction tube so you don't swallow ants but I will add some gauze for additional filtering. I used a bottle cap with a tight fitting hole to both hold the mesh and provide a backstop to help keep the suction tube inserted. But even without that the holes in the lid are nice and tight so the tubes entering are solidly held in place.

I really have no idea what to expect when I actually go out to look for established or foundling colonies, but I figure it's something to do waiting between nuptial flights. I figure that as I overturn rocks and logs or check under loose bark, I will see if I spot a queen first and then attempt to capture her before going after brood and workers.

Ant vaccum

• StopSpazzing likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline IcarusSkybound - Posted April 12 2018 - 12:48 PM

IcarusSkybound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Looks nice! Any interesting in a DIY video? 

Founding: 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus x4

Camponotus Chromaiodes x4

Camponotus Nearcticus x9

Camponotus Snellingi x1

Tapinoma Sessile x1

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 12 2018 - 2:46 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I would strongly suggest a better filter, I used to use a VW fuel filter, Bioquip sells a nice hepa type filter which is not a bad idea.

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline Lazarus - Posted April 12 2018 - 6:31 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Wasn't planning on making any videos. I figure even with two hands it's going to be awkward moving things (rocks, logs, etc) and also holding a nozzle ready while keeping the canister out of the way. I will however report failure/success when I get to use it.

I would strongly suggest a better filter, I used to use a VW fuel filter, Bioquip sells a nice hepa type filter which is not a bad idea.

Out of curiosity, what aspect of the filtering do you think is inadequate? Fumes from acid spewing ants? Or just bits of debris? I figure with metal mesh for 'large' items and layers of gauze for particulates I would be fine.

My online ant spreadsheet

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 12 2018 - 6:38 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

http://www.formicult...or-photo-guide/

#6 Offline antnest8 - Posted April 13 2018 - 5:29 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

maybe some steel cotton could do

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#7 Offline IcarusSkybound - Posted April 15 2018 - 4:37 AM

IcarusSkybound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

http://www.formicult...or-photo-guide/

Thanks a bunch

Founding: 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus x4

Camponotus Chromaiodes x4

Camponotus Nearcticus x9

Camponotus Snellingi x1

Tapinoma Sessile x1

#8 Offline Jerky93 - Posted April 16 2018 - 8:31 AM

Jerky93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Wasn't planning on making any videos. I figure even with two hands it's going to be awkward moving things (rocks, logs, etc) and also holding a nozzle ready while keeping the canister out of the way. I will however report failure/success when I get to use it.

Out of curiosity, what aspect of the filtering do you think is inadequate? Fumes from acid spewing ants? Or just bits of debris? I figure with metal mesh for 'large' items and layers of gauze for particulates I would be fine.

I think he is recommending a HEPA filter because youre ~literally~ going to be inhalting particulates from the ground. I would want to filter that as much as possible as MANY bacteria live in the dirt

Edited by Jerky93, April 16 2018 - 8:31 AM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 16 2018 - 2:39 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

There are many small particulates in the soil which you really do not want making it to your lungs. Fungal spores esp can be bad to inhale.

• LC3 and noebl1 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users