• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

StopSpazzing's Projects - UV LED Floodlights

uv led floodlight project 365nm 395nm blacklight

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted April 1 2018 - 12:07 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Been talking about this for some time in chat but wanted to post about it to get people's opinions or if they have any expertise in the matter. 

I recently purchased a 10watt: 365nm & 395nm LED's to be used it blacklight trapping. According to some limited research done by a university, 350nm light spectrum is the most likely to attract all insects. Regarding, ants, not too sure. Anywho, thinking about making custom floodlights using these LED's to test which is better at attracting insects, and more specifically ant queens. I will be modding existing LED lights you can buy online and replace the LED's which are typically cool/warm white with these LED's. Hoping to keep their runtime high, to around 3-5 hours (on the 10 watts). I will then test them myself and/or maybe give them off to someone to test in good areas to see if they are better or worse that fluorescent blacklights. Using this information, I will build a more powerful LED UV light with higher wattage to get the best possible outcome. I may then, if people are interested in buying, sell them for reasonable price @ different wattage's, with or without batteries.

If anyone has any input or support for this, let me know. :)

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted April 1 2018 - 5:46 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Been talking about this for some time in chat but wanted to post about it to get people's opinions or if they have any expertise in the matter. 

I recently purchased a 10watt: 365nm & 395nm LED's to be used it blacklight trapping. According to some limited research done by a university, 350nm light spectrum is the most likely to attract all insects. Regarding, ants, not too sure. Anywho, thinking about making custom floodlights using these LED's to test which is better at attracting insects, and more specifically ant queens. I will be modding existing LED lights you can buy online and replace the LED's which are typically cool/warm white with these LED's. Hoping to keep their runtime high, to around 3-5 hours (on the 10 watts). I will then test them myself and/or maybe give them off to someone to test in good areas to see if they are better or worse that fluorescent blacklights. Using this information, I will build a more powerful LED UV light with higher wattage to get the best possible outcome. I may then, if people are interested in buying, sell them for reasonable price @ different wattage's, with or without batteries.

If anyone has any input or support for this, let me know. :)

I'm very interested to see how you do. Please keep us updated!

Thanks.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted April 1 2018 - 6:48 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
I’ve had far better luck utilizing high wattage mercury vapor bulbs than standard fluorescent black light tubes. They emit UV light in the correct spectrum for attracting ants, but more importantly they put out a LOT of light. This seems to attract ants (and a plethora of other insects) from a far larger range. In a flat landscape dense with tree cover such as often found in Florida, a high lumen output has proven incredibly effective for bringing alates in, even from species occurring in biotopes far away from the collection site.

The startup cost for a basic setup runs a bit on the high side, with important items being a proper ballast (some lower wattage MV lights are self-ballasted) for the bulb and a portable power source with decent capacity, as these bulbs suck up a fair bit. They also need housing to protect from moisture (and prevent insects from being immediately cooked when they fly into the light, these bulbs run HOT) which would cause the bulbs to shatter. Eye protection is important too, UVA is particularly damaging to eyes.

Edited by 123LordOfAnts123, April 1 2018 - 6:50 AM.

• drtrmiller and StopSpazzing like this

#4 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted April 1 2018 - 10:18 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I’ve had far better luck utilizing high wattage mercury vapor bulbs than standard fluorescent black light tubes. They emit UV light in the correct spectrum for attracting ants, but more importantly they put out a LOT of light. This seems to attract ants (and a plethora of other insects) from a far larger range. In a flat landscape dense with tree cover such as often found in Florida, a high lumen output has proven incredibly effective for bringing alates in, even from species occurring in biotopes far away from the collection site.

The startup cost for a basic setup runs a bit on the high side, with important items being a proper ballast (some lower wattage MV lights are self-ballasted) for the bulb and a portable power source with decent capacity, as these bulbs suck up a fair bit. They also need housing to protect from moisture (and prevent insects from being immediately cooked when they fly into the light, these bulbs run HOT) which would cause the bulbs to shatter. Eye protection is important too, UVA is particularly damaging to eyes.

Thanks you for the information :) . I have already fully researched MV bulbs and while I understand they are the "best" they as you mentioned are, HOT, display light in all wavelengths, and are costly. You literally just provided all the reasons why I started this project. Issue I have other than the MASSIVE power consumption, they are typically 300+ watts, is they produce light in the visible spectrum. As mentioned according to a university small research study, 350nm is the prime spot. This is the issue, because MV DOES emit this wavelength, while UV fluorescent tubes do not. So, as you see, you aren't comparing apples to apples. I want to hit that sweet spot and only that sweet spot with the best wavelength without the wasted energy.

Maybe, you could do an objective comparison once this has finished?

Edited by StopSpazzing, April 1 2018 - 10:19 AM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#5 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted April 1 2018 - 11:44 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Thanks you for the information :) . I have already fully researched MV bulbs and while I understand they are the "best" they as you mentioned are, HOT, display light in all wavelengths, and are costly. You literally just provided all the reasons why I started this project. Issue I have other than the MASSIVE power consumption, they are typically 300+ watts, is they produce light in the visible spectrum. As mentioned according to a university small research study, 350nm is the prime spot. This is the issue, because MV DOES emit this wavelength, while UV fluorescent tubes do not. So, as you see, you aren't comparing apples to apples. I want to hit that sweet spot and only that sweet spot with the best wavelength without the wasted energy.

Sound ideas and I’ll be watching closely.

As for just what wavelength attracts queens, I will say that I’ve had a surprising number of Neviamyrmex males appear around MV, while the other options yielded zero, though this could be an anomaly. I did have clear observations of one male clearly preferring the MV as opossed to a full spectrum fluorescent bulb I was running at the same time. So perhaps they emit something in their wavelength that attracts a species not normally brought in by other lights. Obviously, more testing is required.

#6 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted April 2 2018 - 7:00 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Thanks you for the information  :) . I have already fully researched MV bulbs and while I understand they are the "best" they as you mentioned are, HOT, display light in all wavelengths, and are costly. You literally just provided all the reasons why I started this project. Issue I have other than the MASSIVE power consumption, they are typically 300+ watts, is they produce light in the visible spectrum. As mentioned according to a university small research study, 350nm is the prime spot. This is the issue, because MV DOES emit this wavelength, while UV fluorescent tubes do not. So, as you see, you aren't comparing apples to apples. I want to hit that sweet spot and only that sweet spot with the best wavelength without the wasted energy.

Sound ideas and I’ll be watching closely.

As for just what wavelength attracts queens, I will say that I’ve had a surprising number of Neviamyrmex males appear around MV, while the other options yielded zero, though this could be an anomaly. I did have clear observations of one male clearly preferring the MV as opossed to a full spectrum fluorescent bulb I was running at the same time. So perhaps they emit something in their wavelength that attracts a species not normally brought in by other lights. Obviously, more testing is required.

Originally, I was going to try using full spectrum also, even bought a 50w full spectrum LED, again, you are thankfully backing up research I done in which these do NOT go below ~380nm, which I know for a fact MV does go into. Meaning, may be more weight to this idea I have. The cost of a 100w 350nm LED is massive or even a 50w (for me), not to mention pain in a**  to find, which is why I am trying small scale first with slightly above 350nm. If I get more queens attracted to the lower wavelength, I'll buy the 350nm LED to compare against.

Another challenge that may come about is some queens may like higher wavelengths and others lower, so may have to make multi-LED solution to cover full range.

For kids/people that haven't done the research and are still lost:

nm = nanometers = As you should remember from science class, light is just a form of energy and we measure that light in nanometers. Visible light is ~380-780nm

MV = Mercury Vapor = 100+ watt light bulb most commonly used in scientific work since the light they emit is in a very large range: 250nm-750nm

What I am trying to do is test if ~350nm LED is BETTER than a MV since you will have less loss in power from wavelengths that are less likely to attract insects.

Easy to understand example:

1x 100w @ 350nm gives off roughly:

85 watts @ 350nm,

7.5 watts @ 345-349nm,

7.5 watts @ 351-355nm;

So 85 watts of supposibly sweetspot @ 350nm.

VS

1x 100w Mercury Vapor bulb, giving us:

20watts @ 365nm,

20watts @ 405nm,

20watts @ 436nm,

20watts @ 536nm,

20watts of combined 250-300nm, 304-313nm, and 579nm

Edited by StopSpazzing, April 2 2018 - 4:03 PM.

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted April 2 2018 - 10:21 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

nm = nanometers = As you should remember from science class, light is just a form of energy and we measure that energy in nanometers. Visible light is ~380-780nm

Unfortunately, I have to correct you. What is measured in nm is not the energy but the wavelength.
  • Hunter and AntsMaryland like this

#8 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted April 2 2018 - 4:02 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

nm = nanometers = As you should remember from science class, light is just a form of energy and we measure that energy in nanometers. Visible light is ~380-780nm

Unfortunately, I have to correct you. What is measured in nm is not the energy but the wavelength.

Funny you mention that, actually had it correct my first draft, then second guessed myself. Guess was just tired. Thanks!

Edited by StopSpazzing, April 2 2018 - 4:03 PM.

#9 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted April 25 2018 - 4:59 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Obviously many people have been blacklighting for a while and it seems to work for them without all this research, right? What type of blacklight should I get if I just want to attract queen ants without tons of research?

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 25 2018 - 5:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Obviously many people have been blacklighting for a while and it seems to work for them without all this research, right? What type of blacklight should I get if I just want to attract queen ants without tons of research?

He's trying to find the most optimized light. If you just want to attract insects, pretty much any florescent light will do it.

• CallMeCraven likes this

#11 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted April 28 2018 - 8:41 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I finally purchased the 2 flood lights, will be delivered by may 4th. Hoping will be a simple LED swap, however, kinda expecting having to gut the driver and replace it. Excited to start testing. :D 

• Martialis and VoidElecent like this

#12 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted June 12 2018 - 6:13 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Ok, first floodlight finished:

https://photos.app.g...EnWox1V48sbnSG9

This is the 395nm LED. Takes 3x 18650 battery in a series. This is version one. To turn on you just put in batteries, will be fixed in next version.

Not sure if I want to add ability for it to be powered by cigarette lighter, which would be fine, since it takes about 12 volts which is perfect. Draws about .79 amps. I may also mod in another connection for plugging in 11.1V 3S 50C 3 Cell LiPo Battery Packs, by adding a XT60 female connector. Still needs circuitry for cutoff voltage so it won't kill any batteries. Also, the driver only outputs 800ma, when the LED's operate best @ 1050ma. This requires replacement of a resistor on the driver board and didn't really feel like doing that yet.

#13 Offline nurbs - Posted June 13 2018 - 3:39 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

What if you had to hike into the area and can't bring drive in? Doesn't look terribly portable, especially if you had to hike up an incline for a mile or two. You don't need to reinvent the wheel. While your research is commendable, it's not needed?

The biggest issue I have with blacklighting is portability, not what spectrum of light attracts what ants. Any UV light will work. I use an Amazon $25 UV flashlight, hang it on a random branch, and aim it at torn white tshirt. This all fits in my backpack. This is when I cannot setup the light using my truck's battery.

wQmEGwql.jpg

pn5SKoXl.jpg

• Enderz, FeedTheAnts and ConcordAntman like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#14 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted June 13 2018 - 2:46 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I see your point of portability. This is more portable than a florescent lamp, doesnt require car to be on and can be taken with you. The bottom easily comes off. It may be a little bit more bulk but instead of hanging something you can just set it on the ground and adjust angle. Also, those flashlights typically are 395nm<. So while this works for you, you MAY get better results with the 365nm I'm going to be testing next which is according to university research. This would let me confirm which nm is better. Time is money, and would rather spend 1 hour to get 100 ants instead of 1 hour to get 50.

After my testing, I agree would be using these as more of backups or extra lights. A portable design such as a flashlight would be preferred.

• Enderz likes this

#15 Offline nurbs - Posted June 13 2018 - 3:54 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

"Time is money", sure, but how many queens are you selling?! And who is buying?! Haha. I'm usually done with a dozen or two.

And what university are you referring to? Source? Not that I don't believe you, but I've never had an issue of getting more or less ants because I was using the wrong light. Key is waiting for the right temperature, humidity, location, and time for flights to trigger, not using the correct UV light. Once that happens, even regular lights can attract bugs. 

You can order a 365nm portable DC powered lights from Bioquip right now. Here is one of a few listed:

https://www.bioquip....t.asp?pid=2813C

I see your point of portability. This is more portable than a florescent lamp, doesnt require car to be on and can be taken with you. The bottom easily comes off. It may be a little bit more bulk but instead of hanging something you can just set it on the ground and adjust angle. Also, those flashlights typically are 395nm<. So while this works for you, you MAY get better results with the 365nm I'm going to be testing next which is according to university research. This would let me confirm which nm is better. Time is money, and would rather spend 1 hour to get 100 ants instead of 1 hour to get 50.

After my testing, I agree would be using these as more of backups or extra lights. A portable design such as a flashlight would be preferred.

• Enderz likes this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#16 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted July 12 2018 - 5:56 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Sorry couldn't find link then got sidetracked and forgot about this post.

Where I found the info:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4822069/

which @ "Light Output" links to papers from here:

...UV LEDs emit light centred on the boundary between UV and violet light which is not optimal in comparison to the 350nm peak sensitivity of insect vision (Briscoe and Chittka 2001).

Good read also:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2603179/

--

Another reason why I chose this specific light design... it's upgradable to the larger 100watt LED, and fits perfectly in the center of the light. So it's a win win. Also lets me add more connections such as to my cigarette lighter via the input plug if I am using my car as a "wall" for the sheet. The massive heatsink on the back should work passively to cool the 100watt without any fans needed, however, yet to test this.

Oh also tested the 395nm and works pretty well, attracted several ant species that were in the area. Need to finish the other one and compare side by side.

Edited by StopSpazzing, July 12 2018 - 6:05 PM.

#17 Offline DaveJay - Posted July 13 2018 - 10:15 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I see your point of portability. This is more portable than a florescent lamp, doesnt require car to be on and can be taken with you. The bottom easily comes off. It may be a little bit more bulk but instead of hanging something you can just set it on the ground and adjust angle. Also, those flashlights typically are 395nm<. So while this works for you, you MAY get better results with the 365nm I'm going to be testing next which is according to university research. This would let me confirm which nm is better. Time is money, and would rather spend 1 hour to get 100 ants instead of 1 hour to get 50.

I haven't looked for a couple of years but 365nm UV torches weren't hard to find on eBay, they are said to be the wavelength that make scorpions glow the brightest when looking for them so I bought a few.
Some prefer to use the more common 395 as it throws out more visible light for us eliminating the need for a "white" light torch when roaming through the bush.
Of course not many flashlights could compete with a floodlight for shear output I would assume.

#18 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted July 16 2018 - 1:43 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I see your point of portability. This is more portable than a florescent lamp, doesnt require car to be on and can be taken with you. The bottom easily comes off. It may be a little bit more bulk but instead of hanging something you can just set it on the ground and adjust angle. Also, those flashlights typically are 395nm<. So while this works for you, you MAY get better results with the 365nm I'm going to be testing next which is according to university research. This would let me confirm which nm is better. Time is money, and would rather spend 1 hour to get 100 ants instead of 1 hour to get 50.

I haven't looked for a couple of years but 365nm UV torches weren't hard to find on eBay, they are said to be the wavelength that make scorpions glow the brightest when looking for them so I bought a few.
Some prefer to use the more common 395 as it throws out more visible light for us eliminating the need for a "white" light torch when roaming through the bush.
Of course not many flashlights could compete with a floodlight for shear output I would assume.

Very true. ALso notice that since the price of 365nm is so costly, they typically only include a small amount of LED's at this range. the 100W going to buy if this works better than 395nm, is $100. that's $1 a watt.

• DaveJay likes this

#19 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted December 1 2018 - 2:19 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

After doing some research and some suggestions by an Entomologist, going to test several wavelengths that seem to be the most likely to be seen by all insects. From there, will test them all together, and individually to see if ants are more attracted (or only attracted) to specific wavelengths. Will be 4 wavelengths I will be testing. Depending on results of the tests, may turn it into a product for anyone to buy in the future as a direct replacement for MV lights.

Hopefully people would be willing to buy something like this. If you are one of those people let me know! Also what features would you want on something like this (example: ability to control individual LED's on/off).

#20 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted April 20 2019 - 10:14 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Update 4/20/19

Pretty much done with prototype v1, may add battery charge indicator and on/off switch. Ultimate needs to be easy to use. Uses standard xt60 connectors so anyone could plug in any batteries they already have, as it supports 12-24v in.

https://photos.app.g...y52Xh5b6Stwz376

Edited by StopSpazzing, April 20 2019 - 3:31 PM.

• Subverted and Wa.Va like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uv, led, floodlight, project, 365nm, 395nm, blacklight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users