• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chaney Trail, CA 03/30/18

camponotus

Best Answer nurbs , April 1 2018 - 9:33 AM

1 and 3 is Camponotus vicinus

2 is Camponotus clarithorax

You will have to put them under a scope to get a 100% ID, but since I go anting at Chaney every year, nearly certain that is what they are.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Scrixx - Posted March 31 2018 - 11:29 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

These are the queens I caught with Nurbs, Drew, Spazz, Paul, and Ender. I kind of lost track of the species, I barely figured out which ones were the sansas they kept talking about. I know I have C. sansabeanus and the velvet tree ants we saw, I think Liometopum occidentale? Could be wrong but it's the ones with the silver abdomen. So I didn't include pictures of those two. The third queen here looks like sansabeanus with light but the coloration is different and the size. Pics 8-11.

1. Location of collection: Chaney Trail,

2. Date of collection: 03/30/18
3. Habitat of collection: Forest, oak trees, other trees.
4. Length: 13.5mm

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Pretty much all black with very dark brown legs
6. Distinguishing characteristics: It's smooth and shiny?
7. Anything else distinctive: 
8. Nest description: N/A

9. Nuptial flight time and date: 1800-2399
10. Pictures: 

1. Location of collection: Chaney Trail, CA

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Blackish brown throughout.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Thorax is really small and the queen is pretty flat. 
4. Length: 13mm

10. Pictures: 

1. Location of collection: Chaney Trail, CA

4. Length: 15mm

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Looks black until you shine a light on it. With light, the coloration is similar to C. sansabeanus. However the tips of the abdomen remain black with dark brown connecting to the petioles. 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: 

10. Pictures: 8

Edited by Scrixx, March 31 2018 - 1:29 PM.

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#2 Offline Enderz - Posted March 31 2018 - 12:20 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

#3 is diffidently Campotonus sansabeanus, I won't speak on the others but the 8 queens I got were all C. sanasabeanus and they look identical to yours.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#3 Offline Scrixx - Posted March 31 2018 - 1:04 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

#3 is diffidently Campotonus sansabeanus, I won't speak on the others but the 8 queens I got were all C. sanasabeanus and they look identical to yours.

Hey I don't think it is. #3 is different, the coloration only looks like C. sansabeanus when you put a light to it. I think the head is different too. It's also a darker brown than C. sansabeanus, almost black until you put a light to it. 

Edited by Scrixx, March 31 2018 - 1:23 PM.

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

#4 Offline Scrixx - Posted March 31 2018 - 1:23 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Fixed some stuff, embedded the photos, added more descriptions. Three to ID!

#5 Offline Enderz - Posted March 31 2018 - 1:30 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Hey I don't think it is. #3 is different, the coloration only looks like C. sansabeanus when you put a light to it. I think the head is different too. It's also a darker brown than C. sansabeanus, almost black until you put a light to it. 

Ah my bad, I meant to ID #2 I thought those pictures corresponded to #3. #2 is Campotonus sansabeanus. But #3 is something else.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#6 Offline KBant - Posted April 1 2018 - 2:33 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Perhaps 3 is camponotus vicinus?

Edited by KBant, April 1 2018 - 2:37 AM.

#7 Offline Enderz - Posted April 1 2018 - 2:45 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I have to agree with KBant, it's one of the variations of camponotus vicinus I believe. They look very similar.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#8 Offline nurbs - Posted April 1 2018 - 9:33 AM   Best Answer

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

You will have to put them under a scope to get a 100% ID, but since I go anting at Chaney every year, nearly certain that is what they are.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#9 Offline Scrixx - Posted April 1 2018 - 9:58 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Thanks you, nurbs said it was as well. Just learned not to base on color alone.

I have to agree with KBant, it's one of the variations of camponotus vicinus I believe. They look very similar.

I assumed they were different based on color alone, I should've looked closer haha. 

Thank you nurbs! 

• nurbs likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users