• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID San Carlos, CA, March 30 2018

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 30 2018 - 1:00 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

I caught a Camponotus Myrmentoma queen yesterday. When I found her, the gaster was smashed. She died when I got home from school. The only Myrmentoma species in my area are essigi, hyatti, and clarithorax. We can already cross essigi off the list just by looking at her. That leaves hyatti and clarithorax.

Location of collection: San Carlos, CA.

Date of collection: 10AM March 29
Habitat of collection: Found at my school pool. My school is surrounded by Chaparral.

Length: Around 9.5mm
It has a brown thorax and brown legs.

tGTLxmgl.jpg

Is2sn1il.jpg

8TXwFjql.jpg

LsRhMmql.jpg

WwTz5hDl.jpg

WgZYp5Ul.jpg

nA8A262l.jpg

Uvgu62Il.jpg

830Ppt1l.jpg

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted March 30 2018 - 2:13 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

i think in might be Camponotus Clarithorax based on the coloring of the head but that's my best observation i could make for you

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted March 30 2018 - 2:40 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

It's definitely missing something there.

• Jadeninja9 likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 30 2018 - 3:05 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

It's definitely missing something there.

Lol

#5 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 30 2018 - 3:08 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

i think in might be Camponotus Clarithorax based on the coloring of the head but that's my best observation i could make for you

Yeah, I think that's most likely. Camponotus hyatti has a slightly reddish head and a bright red colored thorax. Unless the colors can vary, I'm 90% sure its Camponotus clarithorax. It would be good to have an official ID though.

Edited by Jadeninja9, March 30 2018 - 6:06 PM.

#6 Offline ZllGGY - Posted March 30 2018 - 5:23 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Yeah, I think that's most likely. Camponotus hyatti has a slightly reddish head and a bright red colored. Unless the colors can vary, I'm 90% sure its Camponotus clarithorax. It would be good to have an official ID though.

yah just not confident in my IDing skills yet

• Jadeninja9 likes this

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 10 2018 - 9:12 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

i think in might be Camponotus Clarithorax based on the coloring of the head but that's my best observation i could make for you

Yeah, I think that's most likely. Camponotus hyatti has a slightly reddish head and a bright red colored thorax. Unless the colors can vary, I'm 90% sure its Camponotus clarithorax. It would be good to have an official ID though.
Hyatti can also have black heads, different subspecies, you happen to have the cool red head ones. The one in your profile pic is a black headed one, and is the same one that drew has.

This queen is Camponotus clarithorax. The yellow legs and dark reddish orange coloration of the thorax give it away. These along with both variations of C. Hyatti (that I have seen), can be found on live oak trees during heatwaves at night, anytime after 8:45ish. I caught myself around 10 doing this, that too during small flights.

Edited by YsTheAnt, April 10 2018 - 9:15 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#8 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted April 10 2018 - 9:30 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Hyatti can also have black heads, different subspecies, you happen to have the cool red head ones. The one in your profile pic is a black headed one, and is the same one that drew has.

This queen is Camponotus clarithorax. The yellow legs and dark reddish orange coloration of the thorax give it away. These along with both variations of C. Hyatti (that I have seen), can be found on live oak trees during heatwaves at night, anytime after 8:45ish. I caught myself around 10 doing this, that too during small flights.

Okay, thanks. Btw the one in my profile pic is a worker lol.

#9 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 11 2018 - 12:16 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yeah, I know, I mean the workers are like that lol. I’m not a noob... I think...

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users