• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mealworm Bucket 2018

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted March 26 2018 - 10:54 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just thought I'd start a Journal on this bucket setup I made for my Mealworm Colony.
 Mainly using it as an experiment bin but also to breed them up for feeders come spring/summer.

Here's a look at the screen ontop that helps with circulation so mold or condensation doesn't start:
XjWLj9E.jpg

The bucket itself is pretty large here's a typical "family" size Coffee Can [that I tore through in 25 days by myself]
kKasnYD.jpg

I know you don't see the typical bedding material that most people use. I don't do it the same way other people do it. It's been about 2 years
since I started keeping them this way and they seem to be doing well. In fact the mealworms I originally got were supposed to be hormone
treated so they wouldn't be able to mate in the first place.

(also it looks like I smooshed some but no I gently placed the can in there, with nothing inside the can, the Coffee Can is part of what I use to get
an overview of the setup during recording sessions etc.)

Here's a video I made on them during the first day they were inside the setup:

All of the carrots are pretty much gone and replaced with the cucumber from the above pictures.

I'll provide more updates and stuff when I do other things with them.

Edited by dermy, March 26 2018 - 10:56 PM.

• Barristan likes this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted March 27 2018 - 8:44 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

What does the bedding consist of, and do you separate the pupa?

#3 Offline dermy - Posted March 28 2018 - 8:34 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I get out pupae once a day or so. As for the bedding it varies, right now it's old Christmas style Rice Crispies. I just feed them left over cereals and stuff. I don't make it too deep or they hide in the bedding and when I do my 4hrs of recording they just hide the whole time (unlike my dermestids)

I plan to keep feeding them various foods and esp. different types of food wastes.

#4 Offline Barristan - Posted March 29 2018 - 9:27 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

They also eat flesh, ,basically they eat almost everything ;)

Edited by Barristan, March 29 2018 - 9:27 AM.

#5 Offline dermy - Posted March 29 2018 - 4:21 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

They also eat flesh, ,basically they eat almost everything ;)

Yeah I've seen some people on forums compare them to Dermestids when it comes to skull cleaning. From what I've heard there is 2 problems;

1- The larvae do most of the eating and anyone who's started up a colony knows they seem to go in cycles thus not very reliable.

2- They damage fine bones unlike Dermestids do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users