• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

overwintering trap jaw ants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gsparrow - Posted November 25 2019 - 4:44 PM

gsparrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSmyrna, Delaware

Hello all,

I don't know if some of you remember or not but I captured some trap jaw ants this past summer while at work (came in a shipment of potted house plants).  They are doing well and I think there might be a queen.  Knowing these ants came from florida I'm not sure how to overwinter them.  I know temps can dip down around the Orlando, Fl area in January so not sure if I should put them in the wine cooler with the rest of the ants or leave their container out at room temperature for the winter or keep a heat cable on them????

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted November 25 2019 - 6:32 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

They most likely do not need to be hibernated because FL is more of a tropical region than Delaware.  They should be fine in the high 70s.

• Manitobant likes this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 25 2019 - 7:03 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
don't HIBERNATE THEM!! they are a tropical species and will die if exposed to cold temperatures.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 26 2019 - 6:01 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
It depends on where in Florida they originated. Some populations hibernate, while others don't.

#5 Offline Superant33 - Posted November 26 2019 - 8:57 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Don’t hibernate them. However, put them in the coldest room that you have. I do this with my traps.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#6 Offline gsparrow - Posted November 28 2019 - 4:33 AM

gsparrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSmyrna, Delaware

Don’t hibernate them. However, put them in the coldest room that you have. I do this with my traps.

What type of set up do you keep your traps in?  I currently have them in a tub n tube set up.  Or would a mini hearth be better?  The colony has about 16 ants total.  And what do you feed your traps? 

I wish someone would make a care sheet on traps.

#7 Offline Superant33 - Posted November 28 2019 - 6:16 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have several colonies. My largest was about 300 strong in a natural formicarium. I didn’t water the nest (trying to force a move into a ytong nest). Lost about 200 workers. The queen is alive and she is laying again. And now I can watch them. I have several smaller colonies, all in tubes. I will eventually move all of them into ytong nests. My traps eat mostly fruit flies and “large” springtails. They go nuts for termites.

#8 Offline SuperFrank - Posted December 3 2019 - 10:56 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

They shouldn't require any sort of diapause period. If they were collected in central Florida then it is either O brunneus or O ruginodis. With ruginodis being the more likely possibility. Brunneus follow an extremely strict yearly cycle of brood production and will slow down substantially in the winter (they won't lay or have brood in the nest for a few months) they will still be active and out foraging and must be provided for. Ruginodis do not slow down or need to enter any sort of diapause state at all to my knowledge.

• Manitobant likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users