• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Michigan Anting

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted March 18 2018 - 7:40 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I didn't see a thread for Michigan anter's, so I thought I would start one.

Michigander's can post here during a nuptial flight to alert the rest of us to get outside with test tubes in hand. Just post your general location and species (if you can) to give those of us in your area a heads up when you first notice a nuptial flight.

With the snow melting and temps beginning to rise we are inching closer to our first Prenolepis Imparis flight for the year - perhaps even by the end of the month if it warms up, but definitely sometime in early to mid April. If/when I witness it in the Northeastern Lower Penninsula I'll let you all know so you can make the most of it too.

Ants of Michigan. . .

http://www.formicult...chigan +species

Michigan queens for sale:

http://www.formicult...r-sale/?p=91044

Edited by Jamiesname, September 13 2018 - 4:52 PM.

#2 Offline antnest8 - Posted March 19 2018 - 4:49 AM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

all iv'e got so far is lasius umbratus. the forecast is also terrible.

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#3 Offline PupHadrian - Posted March 25 2018 - 5:43 PM

PupHadrian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPort Huron, MI United States of America
I live in Port Huron and I was hoping to find other, more experienced people nearby to go Anting with me? I'm legally blind and pretty much need to crawl around with my magnifier to find any. I really want a winter ant queen and to have one of each native camponotus. So far I have a lasius niger queen and brood and Camponotus nova colony with about 30 workers.

I'd love a heads up for flights of the bigger species, I can see them with unlighted magnifiers, which is better for them.

I've been finding a lot of Isopods, slugs, spiders and millipedes everywhere.
  • Martialis likes this

#4 Offline antnest8 - Posted March 28 2018 - 2:26 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I found pavement ants walking around! I even found their nest

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#5 Offline Jamiesname - Posted March 31 2018 - 8:06 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I live in Port Huron and I was hoping to find other, more experienced people nearby to go Anting with me? I'm legally blind and pretty much need to crawl around with my magnifier to find any. I really want a winter ant queen and to have one of each native camponotus. So far I have a lasius niger queen and brood and Camponotus nova colony with about 30 workers.

I'd love a heads up for flights of the bigger species, I can see them with unlighted magnifiers, which is better for them.

I've been finding a lot of Isopods, slugs, spiders and millipedes everywhere.

I have an extra queen Camponotus Pennsylvanicus from last fall. She doesn't have any workers yet, but she has larvae. If you were closer I'd say you could just have her, but I live in East Tawas so it's hardly worth the trip for you. If you know someone headed to my area let me know and it's yours. Same goes for P. Imparis (if/when) I catch some queens this year. I tend to go overboard with queens more times than not.

Having said that, it's been pretty cold up here. I've been flipping bricks that are home to some Lasius colonies, but haven't seen any ants out and about there, or anywhere actually. I'll post when I finally do.

#6 Offline Jamiesname - Posted March 31 2018 - 8:09 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

I found pavement ants walking around! I even found their nest

Must be nice! I haven't seen any ants yet this year. It's still pretty cold here. Highs in the high 30s/low 40s and lows below freezing. Soon though!

#7 Offline antnest8 - Posted April 10 2018 - 3:26 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

yah i have several waking up tetramorium immigrins colonies in my back yard including a prenolepis imparis colony  

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#8 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 2 2018 - 12:49 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Anyone in see any P. Imparis flying around in Northern Michigan? I haven't seen anything. Hope I didn't miss it, but I haven't even seen any alates hanging out outside of their nests yet either. Maybe the snow/ice storm in late April set them back a bit.

#9 Offline antnest8 - Posted May 3 2018 - 12:36 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

you missed it sorry. It happened last week and now the prenolepis colony's are going into summer hibernation

also has anyone know when carpenter ants fly because the rain and heat is perfect for them

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#10 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 3 2018 - 2:07 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

you missed it sorry. It happened last week and now the prenolepis colony's are going into summer hibernation

also has anyone know when carpenter ants fly because the rain and heat is perfect for them

Where are you located (approximately)? I live right on Lake Huron in the Northeastern Lower Penninsula and last week we still had snow on the ground and highs in the mid 40s. Tuesday and Wednesday it finally broke 70 here for the first time this year both days, but it was rainy. I didn't see anything flying either day. Now it's rainy with highs in the low 50s for the next 3 days. I'm Hoping were just a little behind right now. Sixty miles south near Saginaw there's buds on the trees and flowers blooming, but not a bud to be seen on any trees here yet.

Hopefully I still have a shot at them.

#11 Offline antnest8 - Posted May 17 2018 - 2:41 AM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

i'm south east Michigan two hours outside of Detroit. Also i found the camponotus flight. i caught 5 queens so far 2 C Pennslyvanicus and 3 C noveboracensis

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#12 Offline antnest8 - Posted May 17 2018 - 2:43 AM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

if you have not reached to seventies yet they might not have flew but if you had high sixties weather they flew. check their nests if you find males out they have not flown

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#13 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 28 2018 - 12:17 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I just wanted to post a heads up to any Michigan anters that I'm after a few L. Interjectus queens this year. They should be flying within the next 3-4 weeks. I'd be willing to buy any that you guys might catch. Hopefully I can catch my own, but I work a lot so I might miss them.

Oh and by the way, I had a small Camponotus flight last night here in the NE lower penninsula. Caught several C. pennsylvanicus., 1 C. Nov., and 6 C. Americanus.

Edited by Jamiesname, May 28 2018 - 12:25 PM.

#14 Offline Jamiesname - Posted June 13 2018 - 3:07 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Just wanted to remind anyone from MI that I'm still in the market for Lasius Interjectus queens. They might be flying soon in the southern (and warmer) parts of the state. Thanks!

#15 Offline JKULI2525 - Posted September 23 2018 - 8:15 PM

JKULI2525

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Hello, I am just learning about ants, and I would like to begin with getting a queen and starting a colony. I am from Saginaw, which is just west of the thumb. I am wondering if anyone could help me out on which species, if any, would be having their nuptial flights around now. I am willing to start with any ant I can find. Thank you all for the help!

• Jamiesname likes this

#16 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 24 2018 - 5:07 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Hello, I am just learning about ants, and I would like to begin with getting a queen and starting a colony. I am from Saginaw, which is just west of the thumb. I am wondering if anyone could help me out on which species, if any, would be having their nuptial flights around now. I am willing to start with any ant I can find. Thank you all for the help!

Nice to meet you. I'm not sure if anything would be flying this late in the game with winter approaching. If they were to fly, it would likely be some sort of Lasius species. It all depends on weather (spelled wrong for the pun) or not we get a solid week of temps back up in the mid 70's to low 80's with decent humidity.

With that said, if you feel the need to have a colony right now, you can always buy one. I live an hour and a half north of you and I'd be happy to help with that. However, if you were to buy one now it wouldn't do you much good because you'd have to put it into hibernation soon, until late winter or early spring.

Lastly, check out this link. It'll show you what species typically flies during each month. . .

http://www.formicult...gmating-chart/#

#17 Offline JKULI2525 - Posted September 24 2018 - 5:27 PM

JKULI2525

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Nice to meet you. I'm not sure if anything would be flying this late in the game with winter approaching. If they were to fly, it would likely be some sort of Lasius species. It all depends on weather (spelled wrong for the pun) or not we get a solid week of temps back up in the mid 70's to low 80's with decent humidity.

With that said, if you feel the need to have a colony right now, you can always buy one. I live an hour and a half north of you and I'd be happy to help with that. However, if you were to buy one now it wouldn't do you much good because you'd have to put it into hibernation soon, until late winter or early spring.

Lastly, check out this link. It'll show you what species typically flies during each month. . .

http://www.formicult...gmating-chart/#

Thank you so much for all the information and help. I am looking forward to the reward feeling of finding my own queen and starting my own colony. I am not looking into buying  right now, but it is a possibility for the future. Hopefully the weather will be good enough, and I will be able to find one. Once again thank you very much, I am inexperienced and I am grateful that I have people that are willing to help!

#18 Offline Jamiesname - Posted June 2 2019 - 2:26 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I know it's early and temps have only broken 70 in Northeastern MI three times so far this spring, but has anyone noticed a Camponotus flight yet? I've been waiting and haven't seen one. I don't want to miss it!

#19 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted June 3 2019 - 7:15 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I'm also curious. Saginaw area.

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 5 2019 - 4:43 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I have found that all the Lasius and Tetramorium are out and about. I found Lasius and tetramorium living in extremely close proximity. I live in South Lyon near Ann Arbor.

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 5 2019 - 4:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users