• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants fighting over food. . .

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted March 16 2018 - 6:19 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I have a small (12 workers - 1 is a major oddly enough, but that's neither here nor there) c. Pennsylvanicus colony and they can't seem to agree on whether or not to take food to the larvae inside the nest. Half the colony goes out and forages, bringing the dead insects I provide into their nest. Seconds later the other half of the ants, the caretakers, take the food out and dump it. Sometimes one or two will bring an insect in, while another grabs it and tries dragging it out of the nest at the same time. This has been going on since I took them out of hibernation 1 month ago. Any ideas how to get them to leave the insects in the nest for the larvae?

Edited by Jamiesname, March 16 2018 - 6:20 PM.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 17 2018 - 11:48 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
They know what they are doing, and Camponotus can feed larvae through trophallaxis, so don't worry about it.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted March 17 2018 - 5:19 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Welcome to democracy :)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users