• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

East Arkansas, 7/8/18 (Crematogaster?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Wren - Posted July 8 2018 - 12:38 PM

Wren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I think this might be Crematogaster, but don't have enough experience to feel sure about that. 

Body:
1. Location of collection (ie: park/area, city/town, state/province, country).Just outside Wyne, AR

2. Date of collection (more important for ID's of queens). 6/23/18
3. Habitat of collection (ie: desert scrub, oak forest, riparian, etc.).
4. Length (to the nearest millimeter or 1/16th of an inch.) 7 mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture. Black gaster; head and thorax appear reddish in high light, but black in normal light; sparse hair over the head and thorax, more hair on the gaster; legs look yellowish on the last segment
6. Distinguishing characteristics. Two short spikes coming off the back of the thorax
7. Anything else distinctive (ie: odor, behavior, characteristics relative to others in the colony, etc.). none that I noticed
8. Nest description (if you can find the nest, and you're sure it belongs to the ant you collected) (ie: rotted log, volcano-shaped mound of coarse gavel 10cm in diameter, etc.). none, I found this ant running on the sidewalk

9. Nuptial flight time and date (if you witnessed the ant or it's colony having a nuptial flight or caught an alate you are confident was flying that day or time) 6/23/18, afternoon, based on when I found it.  It had already pulled off its wings, but was on the sidewalk still.

[img][/IMG}

20180623_172732.jpg

20180623_173528.jpg

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 8 2018 - 1:58 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Yep, that's Crematogaster.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 8 2018 - 7:16 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

A pretty one!

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Wren - Posted July 11 2018 - 5:54 PM

Wren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks.  Hopefully once she has some workers, I'll be able to identify which type of Crematogaster she is.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users