• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 09 Research and Design (Updated 11-12-2023)

formicarium out world ant nest how-to tutorial dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#301 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 1 2018 - 3:46 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The Dirt Box should be available again soon on Amazon in a variety of sizes.

• Spamdy, OhioAnts and Theused1 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#302 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted August 6 2018 - 10:32 AM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

That would be great.

The Dirt Box should be available again soon on Amazon in a variety of sizes.

#303 Offline Alacom - Posted August 8 2018 - 3:13 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Hey Drew, I saw your nest for the Liopetopum Occidentale colony on youtube, and since I have queens that just got their workers a few days ago I've been planning to make a nest like yours for one of them. I'm going to put it together later today, and I was hoping if you could tell me what I should use for the bottom of the tank (It's sealed all the way around except for the top which I've ant-proofed) and for the top of the outworld portion. I was thinking of using that space in the middle to make a series of smaller boxes inside of one another separated by a thin piece of plastic. There would be a hole in the plastic sheet box opposite of the side that I'll dig a starting hole for them in. This way they will only unlock another wooden box to dig in once they've fully dug all the way around. I hope you can give me some tips.

#304 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 8 2018 - 8:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hey Drew, I saw your nest for the Liopetopum Occidentale colony on youtube, and since I have queens that just got their workers a few days ago I've been planning to make a nest like yours for one of them. I'm going to put it together later today, and I was hoping if you could tell me what I should use for the bottom of the tank (It's sealed all the way around except for the top which I've ant-proofed) and for the top of the outworld portion. I was thinking of using that space in the middle to make a series of smaller boxes inside of one another separated by a thin piece of plastic. There would be a hole in the plastic sheet box opposite of the side that I'll dig a starting hole for them in. This way they will only unlock another wooden box to dig in once they've fully dug all the way around. I hope you can give me some tips.

I'm sorry, but you completely lost me there.

#305 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 8 2018 - 8:45 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I think he means substrate?

Or what he should put as a base under the dirt, just things to notice for while building the dirt box is what I'm guessing.

Not sure about the second part though.

#306 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 8 2018 - 8:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There is a lot of different stuff in this thread. I would need to know specifically what he is referring to. I think everything here has a Hydrostone floor, if that's what he is asking. It's actually a crucial part of how these function.

#307 Offline Alacom - Posted August 9 2018 - 7:06 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Well, I decided to use sand for the bottom of mine since I wasn't able to get hydro atm. Do you remember the wood nest you made for a liopetopum occidentale colony a while back? I just made one similar to that for mine and moved them in last night. I've been having some problems, as they haven't even noticed the chamber in the wood I made right next to them. They also aren't very interested in foods like peanut butter, chicken meat, cantaloupe, and they've barely touched the honey I gave them.

I heard that liopetoum occidentale like to burrow in wood which is why I made the wooden nest for them (with the softest wood I could find), but a second colony I have of the same species has started using the dirt in their foraging area I recently gave them to block up their test tube. Any tips on what to feed them or why they won't start digging in the wood?

(Also sorry about confusing you with the plans for my ant farm. It's hard to explain it without pictures.)

Edited by Alacom, August 9 2018 - 7:07 PM.

#308 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted August 9 2018 - 8:11 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

If they aren't eating a lot it might just mean the colony is still too small.

#309 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 9 2018 - 8:19 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Well, I decided to use sand for the bottom of mine since I wasn't able to get hydro atm. Do you remember the wood nest you made for a liopetopum occidentale colony a while back? I just made one similar to that for mine and moved them in last night. I've been having some problems, as they haven't even noticed the chamber in the wood I made right next to them. They also aren't very interested in foods like peanut butter, chicken meat, cantaloupe, and they've barely touched the honey I gave them.

I heard that liopetoum occidentale like to burrow in wood which is why I made the wooden nest for them (with the softest wood I could find), but a second colony I have of the same species has started using the dirt in their foraging area I recently gave them to block up their test tube. Any tips on what to feed them or why they won't start digging in the wood?

(Also sorry about confusing you with the plans for my ant farm. It's hard to explain it without pictures.)

Do you mean the "wood box" pictured at the end of page 1 of this thread?
I can't post pictures or links using a phone but that's where it is.

#310 Offline Alacom - Posted August 9 2018 - 10:04 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Well, I decided to use sand for the bottom of mine since I wasn't able to get hydro atm. Do you remember the wood nest you made for a liopetopum occidentale colony a while back? I just made one similar to that for mine and moved them in last night. I've been having some problems, as they haven't even noticed the chamber in the wood I made right next to them. They also aren't very interested in foods like peanut butter, chicken meat, cantaloupe, and they've barely touched the honey I gave them.

I heard that liopetoum occidentale like to burrow in wood which is why I made the wooden nest for them (with the softest wood I could find), but a second colony I have of the same species has started using the dirt in their foraging area I recently gave them to block up their test tube. Any tips on what to feed them or why they won't start digging in the wood?

Do you mean the "wood box" pictured at the end of page 1 of this thread?
I can't post pictures or links using a phone but that's where it is.

Yeah, but I designed it where there's more wood in the middle and they can only access it once they've dug all the way around the wooden box.

• DaveJay likes this

#311 Offline Alacom - Posted August 9 2018 - 10:11 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

If they aren't eating a lot it might just mean the colony is still too small.

I hope that's the case. When the first workers eclosed I was able to get them to nibble on some sandwich ham. I'll try giving them some more of that later. I'm still worried about how they aren't interested in the soft wood. Btw, all 3 of the Liometopum Occidentale colonies I have eclosed on the same day and have been acting the same appetite wise, so I have a good indicator that somethings not just wrong with one of the colonies.

#312 Offline Alacom - Posted August 10 2018 - 2:22 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

There is a lot of different stuff in this thread. I would need to know specifically what he is referring to. I think everything here has a Hydrostone floor, if that's what he is asking. It's actually a crucial part of how these function.

I'm referring to the wood box on page 1 for my Liometopum occidentale colony. I'm starting to get worried because they can climb over talcum powder and vaseline, and I can't immediately buy fluon. Any idea why they are more interested by the dirt on top of the wood rather than the wood itself? There is an opening in the dirt revealing a wooden chamber I pre-carved for them but they don't care about it at all.

Edit: They're trying really hard to get out. Starting to get scared.

Edited by Alacom, August 10 2018 - 2:25 PM.

#313 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 10 2018 - 2:48 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Yeah, but I designed it where there's more wood in the middle and they can only access it once they've dug all the way around the wooden box.

I hope that's the case. When the first workers eclosed I was able to get them to nibble on some sandwich ham. I'll try giving them some more of that later. I'm still worried about how they aren't interested in the soft wood. Btw, all 3 of the Liometopum Occidentale colonies I have eclosed on the same day and have been acting the same appetite wise, so I have a good indicator that somethings not just wrong with one of the colonies.

I'm referring to the wood box on page 1 for my Liometopum occidentale colony. I'm starting to get worried because they can climb over talcum powder and vaseline, and I can't immediately buy fluon. Any idea why they are more interested by the dirt on top of the wood rather than the wood itself? There is an opening in the dirt revealing a wooden chamber I pre-carved for them but they don't care about it at all.

Ok wow, that's a lot. You might want to create your own separate thread for this, and then refer back to Drew's formicarium research. Making a new forum post will allow you to get more visitors and helpers than just posting here.

Also, it's sort of hard to understand everything that's going on if it's all separate like that. (And add pictures if it's possible...?)

#314 Offline Alacom - Posted August 10 2018 - 4:00 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Ok wow, that's a lot. You might want to create your own separate thread for this, and then refer back to Drew's formicarium research. Making a new forum post will allow you to get more visitors and helpers than just posting here.

Also, it's sort of hard to understand everything that's going on if it's all separate like that. (And add pictures if it's possible...?)

Sorry, not trying to flood this thread. I'll try one more barrier with a mixture of cinnamon, olive oil, and hot sauce before I make my own thread.

Edited by Alacom, August 10 2018 - 4:01 PM.

#315 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 10 2018 - 4:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Any tips on what to feed them or why they won't start digging in the wood?

Did you use rotted Live Oak tree wood? Probably doesn't have to be Live Oak, but it most likely needs to be rotted and very soft.

#316 Offline Alacom - Posted August 10 2018 - 8:31 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Did you use rotted Live Oak tree wood? Probably doesn't have to be Live Oak, but it most likely needs to be rotted and very soft.

The wood that I used was the softest I could get at Home Depot, and was slightly damp which helped it be softer (I know that they like dry wood but it wasn't super moist). The dirt that they seem to be liking more than the wood is kind of chunky and meant to be used as top soil for gardens.

#317 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 13 2018 - 1:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The wood that I used was the softest I could get at Home Depot, and was slightly damp which helped it be softer (I know that they like dry wood but it wasn't super moist). The dirt that they seem to be liking more than the wood is kind of chunky and meant to be used as top soil for gardens.

I don't think you're going to find the kind of wood they like at a home improvement store. It really should be rotted.

#318 Offline Alacom - Posted August 14 2018 - 8:57 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

I don't think you're going to find the kind of wood they like at a home improvement store. It really should be rotted.

If they get big enough do you think they'll try to dig in it some, or at least use the little burrow I dug out for extra nesting space?

Edited by Alacom, August 14 2018 - 8:57 PM.

#319 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 15 2018 - 6:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I really don't know.

#320 Offline Alacom - Posted August 15 2018 - 11:05 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Oof. Thank you for helping me with the formicarium stuff. I'll try my best to keep these ants alive. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, out world, ant nest, how-to, tutorial, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users