• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 09 Research and Design (Updated 11-12-2023)

formicarium out world ant nest how-to tutorial dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#241 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 23 2017 - 7:22 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yay larger ones! While I'm still, "Meh," I like the larger ones a lot more! The size was a little bit of a concern to me as I didn't want to have to move something out in a year. 

• Martialis likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#242 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 23 2017 - 8:15 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Where is the link to purchase?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#243 Offline Goldsystem - Posted June 25 2017 - 9:39 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Are you gonna make a version for 1mm ants?

#244 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 27 2017 - 1:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yay larger ones! While I'm still, "Meh," I like the larger ones a lot more! The size was a little bit of a concern to me as I didn't want to have to move something out in a year. 

In one of the small ones, a colony of medium-sized ants can have a couple hundred before they need something bigger.

Where is the link to purchase?

Just PM me if you want to buy something.

Probably not any time soon.

#245 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted June 27 2017 - 2:05 AM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

I just got mine in the mail and am eager to get something into it.

Re: the issue with 1 mm ants and @Goldsystem, if your concern is small ants escaping the formicarium, this one seems easy enough to modify. Around the perimeter of the lid where it sits on the clear box, you could use a syringe to carefully lay a 'pour in place' gasket with the medium of your choice, e.g., silicone. The other issue, as I understand it, would be small ants getting into the water reservoir. You could get creative and modify those spaces in a similar way, but I don't know if that would cause an issue with the transfer of water from the reservoir through the substrate. That is to say, I'm not a physicist by any means, so I have no idea if a vacuum created by an airtight seal around the reservoir would prevent water from moving through this formicarium as it was designed to do.

Again, super excited to get something into this formicarium. Excellent design, Drew. 

#246 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 27 2017 - 3:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just got mine in the mail and am eager to get something into it.

Re: the issue with 1 mm ants and @Goldsystem, if your concern is small ants escaping the formicarium, this one seems easy enough to modify. Around the perimeter of the lid where it sits on the clear box, you could use a syringe to carefully lay a 'pour in place' gasket with the medium of your choice, e.g., silicone. The other issue, as I understand it, would be small ants getting into the water reservoir. You could get creative and modify those spaces in a similar way, but I don't know if that would cause an issue with the transfer of water from the reservoir through the substrate. That is to say, I'm not a physicist by any means, so I have no idea if a vacuum created by an airtight seal around the reservoir would prevent water from moving through this formicarium as it was designed to do.

Again, super excited to get something into this formicarium. Excellent design, Drew. 

Thanks. Yeah, there are things I could do to make them work with ants that small, but those would definitely be more expensive, because it would take a lot more time to make.

#247 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 27 2017 - 5:09 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

In one of the small ones, a colony of medium-sized ants can have a couple hundred before they need something bigger.

Oh yeah? Awesome! I might give one a chance. If I caught the Lasius species in my back yard it would be perfect. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#248 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted June 27 2017 - 12:11 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Does the hydrostone go through the bottom of the formicarium? If so, why?

#249 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 27 2017 - 6:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yes, in two spots. That helps hold it in.

#250 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 27 2017 - 6:26 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes, in two spots. That helps hold it in.

I was wondering about that, too.  Very smart!

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#251 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 29 2017 - 6:34 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Hey Drew,

Bought one off Amazon already and it's arrived. Any particular setup?  Should I moisten the soil prior to putting in?  How do I know how much water to put in?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#252 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 29 2017 - 7:28 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Bought one off Amazon already and it's arrived. Any particular setup?  Should I moisten the soil prior to putting in?  How do I know how much water to put in?

Just fill up the inner tank after adding the soil so you get an idea of how it hydrates.  It should take a few hours because it's very slow.

Additionally, you may also squirt a little water down the sides to wash away any dust and also to moisten the top-most soil, which doesn't get that wet otherwise.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 29 2017 - 7:29 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#253 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 30 2017 - 12:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hey Drew,

The way I initially hydrate these nests is by squirting about a 1/4 inch of water on the surface. I take that opportunity to wash the dust off the sides of the plastic. That amount of water will completely soak all of the dirt, and then continue slowly soaking into the vermiculite in the inner container, leaving the nests with the perfect dampness for new queens to start digging their nests. The reason I soak all of the dirt in the beginning is so that as the upper layer dries out, it hardens, protecting the nest against collapse.

#254 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 30 2017 - 6:30 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
How do I measure how much water to put inside the inner container?

#255 Offline Shaye - Posted July 23 2017 - 12:30 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Finished designing the large ones.

med_gallery_2_295_289362.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_418509.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_252377.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_382187.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_526809.jpg

What thread is this design posted in?

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#256 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 23 2017 - 12:32 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
https://www.formicul...ated-3-19-2017/

#257 Offline Shaye - Posted July 23 2017 - 12:40 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I didn't find it on this page.. I just meant the nice additions such as the new tubes going to the top and out of the container. I guess I am just used to the ones I bought before.

Also, the new sealed lid-design is nice.

Edited by Shaye, July 23 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#258 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 23 2017 - 2:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Did you look through the thread? Since it's new it's obviously going to be more towards the end.

https://www.formicul...-19-2017/page-9

#259 Offline Shaye - Posted July 23 2017 - 3:01 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
My bad entirely. I truly thought that I had read every single page, but I somehow skipped two? I found the page, very very nice improvements.

#260 Offline JackPearl - Posted September 18 2017 - 2:07 AM

JackPearl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hello! I've seen plenty of your nests, portals etc and am wondering...do you sell any of these? Is there a website for them?
Or a collection of what your willing to sell?

I'm from Australia, so if I'm able to buy please PM me. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, out world, ant nest, how-to, tutorial, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users