• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID please . any ideas

Best Answer StayLoki , March 1 2018 - 6:18 PM

Omg thank you!!! That's her !! And the workers have these like clear abdomans after gorging..so cool to see THANKS SO MUCH Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 2 2018 - 10:09 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Yes. They'll come out when other ants will not, but for the parts of winter that get below freezing you will not see these ants as they are hibernating.

Their nests can be as deep as 6 meters below ground. I'm sure that during these temperatures they go deeper into the nest where its warm instead of hibernating.

Yes, and then they hibernate...

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#22 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 2 2018 - 10:13 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

@Anthony. Think about it. In the winter, temps in MY HOUSE are not going to drop below freezing. I'm going to be combating the cold and the ants will probably come out more. In the summer my ants hate the heat and I need to hibernate them then, unlike others over the winter from what I've gathered. Lol they're winter ants because they like the cold . but I'm sure they still don't come out when there's snow on the ground. But they will in my house and ill get to enjoy them. ;)

You shouldn't put your own enjoyment before your ants' well being. They usually hibernate in winter, and they probably need it just like any other ant.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#23 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 11 2018 - 9:50 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

@Anthony. Think about it. In the winter, temps in MY HOUSE are not going to drop below freezing. I'm going to be combating the cold and the ants will probably come out more. In the summer my ants hate the heat and I need to hibernate them then, unlike others over the winter from what I've gathered. Lol they're winter ants because they like the cold . but I'm sure they still don't come out when there's snow on the ground. But they will in my house and ill get to enjoy them. ;)

You shouldn't put your own enjoyment before your ants' well being. They usually hibernate in winter, and they probably need it just like any other ant.
I would agree, on the most part. In my area, they are active all winter long. It varies from area to area, so if you see foragers during peak of winter cold, no need for hibernation (not estavation, that is something all P. Imparis do), no need to hibernate. Otherwise, let them chill :P

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#24 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 3 2018 - 3:26 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Their hibernation would be during the summer then!
I'm not saying they don't hibernate; I'm saying they're WINTER ANTS and flourish in cold temps and you should hibernate them in the summer during hot temperatures.

You guys are thinking all wrong.

#25 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 3 2018 - 3:29 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Probably denaturing their spermazoa when you keep them that hot and then hibernate during the winter, freezing and killing eggs and pupae...maybe that's why no one can get a second round of niantics? :P lol

Edited by StayLoki, May 3 2018 - 3:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users