• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Three queens ID request - Toronto

queen id

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntKeeperNoob - Posted March 1 2018 - 4:05 PM

AntKeeperNoob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone,

I caught three different species of ant queens around August, 2017. I just brought them out of hibernation and took some photos (sorry for the poor quality). Below are their description and pictures.

Queen #1 - Lasius sp. ?

1. Location of collection: Toronto, Canada
2. Date of collection: Late August, 2017
3. Habitat of collection: Sidewalk about 400 meter East of a large park (High Park in Toronto)
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~7mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark brown /  black

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Gaster much larger after hibernation

20180301 180745
20180301 180753

Queen #2 - Tetrmorium sp. ?
3. Habitat of collection: Sidewalk 
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~9mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark black, but a little iridescent
20180301 180933
20180301 180907

Queen #3 - some fire ant?
3. Habitat of collection: Sidewalk 
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~6mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark brown, slightly reddish
6. Distinguishing characteristics: large mandibles; I fed it a few fruit flies because it doesn;t look fully-claustral and it ate them.
The photo angle is bad, but it definitely has a petiole AND postpetiole.
20180301 181252
20180301 181407

Thanks for all your help!

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted March 1 2018 - 4:07 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

#1 is definitely lasius

#2 is definitely Crematogater

#3 is Tetramorium, maybe...?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted March 1 2018 - 4:13 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I'm fairly confident queen #3 is an Aphaenogaster sp.

• noebl1 and FeedTheAnts like this

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted March 1 2018 - 4:19 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Tennessee ants got 1&2 right, LC3 got #3 right. ;)
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 1 2018 - 4:19 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I'm fairly confident queen #3 is an Aphaenogaster sp.

I agree; first Aphaenogaster queens I caught I initially thought were Tetramorium as well until I realized too late in the year and looked different once examined up close.  Based on the size, maybe something like Aphaenogaster picea?  

#6 Offline AntKeeperNoob - Posted March 1 2018 - 4:32 PM

AntKeeperNoob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks for the quick replies!

I was just wondering. What kind of characteristics are you all focusing on when identifying these queens? I know this might be quite a complicated question, but I would just like to know what look at in the future when identifying queens.

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted March 1 2018 - 4:44 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Petiole, whether there's one node or two, or one and a large segment fused with the gaster. That will at the very least let you know what subfamily the ant is in.

On top of that all three of these genres though are pretty iconic.

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 1 2018 - 7:29 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Hey where'd you find Aphaenogaster in Toronto? BTW it's probably IAphaenogaster picea. Number 1 is Lasius pallitarsis or  Lasius neoniger. Number 2 is Crematogaster cerasi or lineolata. Looks like it has pupae already.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 1 2018 - 7:49 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Hey where'd you find Aphaenogaster in Toronto? BTW it's probably IAphaenogaster picea. Number 1 is Lasius pallitarsis or  Lasius neoniger. Number 2 is Crematogaster cerasi or lineolata. Looks like it has pupae already.

What about alienus

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#10 Offline LC3 - Posted March 1 2018 - 10:03 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

What about alienus

L.alienus mainly fly during early to mid summer, I don't think the queens of this species tend to hibernate before founding colonies often.

#11 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 2 2018 - 2:04 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

What about alienus

L.alienus mainly fly during early to mid summer, I don't think the queens of this species tend to hibernate before founding colonies often.

Where do you get that information? I hear they fly from summer to fall, and have experienced this too. Although Lasius alienus may have small flights earlier, this is right in the middle of their flight times.

#12 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 2 2018 - 3:22 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I've found L. alienus in July and August usually starting to fly just before sunset, and catching them at night attracted to lights; I haven't really seen them fly here much past August.  The L. alienus I have caught the last couple years tend to have their first nanitics before hibernation.  That being said, I've yet to have an L. alienus queen make it thru hibernation, and not sure why as no problems with other Lasius.  Maybe just luck of the draw as only kept a couple that were actually fertile.

#13 Offline LC3 - Posted March 2 2018 - 3:39 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Lasius alienus as far as I'm aware has synchronized flights with niger in Europe lasting from July to September (according to Antwiki and various papers about hybridization) but also according to antwiki there isn't enough data to draw comparisons.  In North America I've also heard of people finding queens during the fall but the vast majority seem to take place around mid summer to late summer. This is also reflected quite clearly in the Ant mating chart. I'll admit though I haven't been able to find many sources of the exact flight times of North America L.alienus, just merely mentioned here and there being in June and July. 

Personally I've never seen L. alienus fly past July. I can find queens throughout the summer up until they hibernate but all the major flights I've seen always happen around July.

Edited by LC3, March 2 2018 - 3:40 PM.

#14 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 2 2018 - 3:57 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Lasius alienus as far as I'm aware has synchronized flights with niger in Europe lasting from July to September (according to Antwiki and various papers about hybridization) but also according to antwiki there isn't enough data to draw comparisons.  In North America I've also heard of people finding queens during the fall but the vast majority seem to take place around mid summer to late summer. This is also reflected quite clearly in the Ant mating chart. I'll admit though I haven't been able to find many sources of the exact flight times of North America L.alienus, just merely mentioned here and there being in June and July. 

Personally I've never seen L. alienus fly past July. I can find queens throughout the summer up until they hibernate but all the major flights I've seen always happen around July.

I don't find Lasius alienus in the summer much, I find  alienus mainly from July-August, I think this queen is possibly just that, August is well into it's range.

#15 Offline Will230145 - Posted March 2 2018 - 4:42 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
The first one is DEFINITELY Lasius Neoniger, they are the only Lasius species (besides Lasius niger which is not in your area) that have a weird, bloated gaster after hibernation, I have a queen who is close to having her first nanitics!

#16 Offline AntKeeperNoob - Posted March 2 2018 - 6:22 PM

AntKeeperNoob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I found the Aphaenogaster randomly on the sidewalk at the intersection of Roncesvalles and Neepawa ave during the evening (around 7 pm). There was a bunch of Lasius queens there as well. Hope this helps.

• Canadian anter likes this

#17 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 2 2018 - 6:26 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

The first one is DEFINITELY Lasius Neoniger, they are the only Lasius species (besides Lasius niger which is not in your area) that have a weird, bloated gaster after hibernation, I have a queen who is close to having her first nanitics!

Actually about all fully claustral Lasius seem to do that.

• AnthonyP163 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#18 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 2 2018 - 10:08 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Yes.

#19 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 3 2018 - 11:14 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

I caught my Lasius alienus queens on Aug 3rd at 1pm. There were literally dozens upon dozens of queens running around. It was very humid and windy. My queens all laid eggs before the winter months and only now have pupae. 

#20 Offline Will230145 - Posted March 3 2018 - 12:24 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania

Ok, I never knew that lol :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen, id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users