• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Noobie question ;)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 10:58 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I'm spending way too much time watching these little guys.
Way more fun than seeing a therapist lmao

Edited by StayLoki, March 3 2018 - 3:05 PM.

#22 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 11:03 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
My name is john Doran. Gosh durn u Dr. Cox

#23 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted March 2 2018 - 8:15 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

It's funny because my Prenolepis imparis colony have two winged queens. I know that one has mated because I saw it with my own eyes. How many queens do you count?

#24 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 2 2018 - 9:07 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Me? Just the one. ๐Ÿ‘€
There was another much smaller winged ant with them when I overturned the burrow and I scooped it up too but haven't seen it since. Really hope it was a male and she mated already..

I tried to get her into a test tube after prepping it ..kind of tried to guide her into it and as soon as she was onto me she booked it to the dirt pile tunnel they've made for her. I don't want to disturb it so I made a smaller water plug tube that will fit in the tank and set that in there. They've piled some dirt in it and she deff seems interested bc of the new humidity as dirt as drying out ..but won't go in...
She's deff more comfortable and still out smarting me. Lol
I'm off 2mar and will get her into tt with the crew no matter what, as habitat is not best for them to stay in.imo. for me to clean/feed/water or them to do their thing. I'm going to just be faster as it was my first attempt and I really don't want to hurt her lol . was able to get 5 workers into the tube but without her visable and hiding in dirt I just let them go and placed the smaller tt in that fits.. so she can at least get used to it.

She keeps thumping around and checking her abdomen which also means I need to get them out asap, as eggs will be hard to separate from debris if that's what she's gonna do...

Ill prob start a thread 2mar with some close ups of them. At the very least the workers look amazing!!! .. If she doesn't seem to be doing well in a few weeks ill let them go..we'll see

Edited by StayLoki, March 2 2018 - 9:49 PM.

#25 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 2 2018 - 9:12 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Just wanted to say I'm in ny and the weather has been crazy.
We've had some warm days and technically if she had a nuptial flight, mated with this male and had a first batch of 'workers' they must have been out mid-feb or earlier ..when we had days in the 35-40... Crazy. Hence winter ants iguess ;)
And they are just so cool lol I'm totally hooked

Edited: I suppose it will depend on if she actually lays eggs now..or even in the summer if I chill them providing I keep them alive that long even. But i found her in what looked like a burrow entrance.. No eggs no larvae just her and workers and a winged ant i wouldn't call a queen at all imo

Edited by StayLoki, March 2 2018 - 9:16 PM.

#26 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 2 2018 - 9:30 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
s2TqTZ.jpg

2AsQBr.jpg

Sorry about poor qual. . better care and photos will come 2mar ;) lol

#27 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted April 15 2018 - 7:39 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

update?

#28 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 18 2018 - 10:09 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
No one seemed to enjoy the journal or offer any advice than she's gonna die, so after about 2wks of keeping her successfully with all the crew she didn't shed her wings or seem to be laying eggs so I let her go.
Some say this species can be fertile and keep their wings but you guys had me doubting me everything that I let her go before all this crazy snow.. to become proper bluejay food, I'm sure. But at least she got a few good wks fat and happy and well fed...

Hopeing to find the elusive 'fertile only nuptial flights when you missed it p.imparis queen' now..
I think she's outside the Vanilla Unicorn, ill keep looking there ๐Ÿ˜‚

#29 Offline CNewton - Posted April 19 2018 - 3:10 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY
Are you sure you missed the flight? You found this queen in a nest surounded with workers. Here in western NY, it has been way too cold for flights. You havenโ€™t missed Prenolepis, or any speciesโ€™ flights for that matter! Its looking promising next week for my area. After that are Camponotus, a much better species to enjoy. Prenolepis are notorious for not laying a 2nd or 3rd batch of eggs, I don't know of anyone with a successful longterm colony.
Hell, Tetramorium in June are super fun and fast growing and so so so easy to find everywhere. I catch them on morning car condensation!
I agree, your queen was probably infertile, but do not lose hope! You literally are at the very start of anting season! Take the next days and watch the weather. Warm and windless days are your friend. Prenolepis fly midday. You already know of nest locations. They won't fly too far from home.

#30 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 19 2018 - 7:55 AM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Thanks Newton. Yea I had a warm day a few wks ago but all I saw was termite males ๐Ÿ˜ฌ lol

Its funny how thinking back I've missed so many queens.. One day after work in August last year, right on my gate was a p.imparis queen. I remember watching her for a while and thinking it was a beautiful little bug lol and now I'm like ahhhhhh shucks LMAO

Right now I'm holding a kidnapped l.flavus queen hostage. She's doing well but I'm not sure if she feels the same and will start laying for me ๐Ÿ˜
edited: ****** AHHHHHH I just checked her (and needed to take out a sliver of turkey a few days old) and she has an egg!! Oh my, my 1st fertile little lady Lasius Flavus . I'm so excited, how cool!!! LMAO ๐Ÿ’“
Wow

Edited by StayLoki, April 19 2018 - 8:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users