• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius niger colony and questions

ants my first colony begginer lasius niger questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatLord - Posted February 27 2018 - 2:46 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationGreece-Chalkida

My lasius niger colony recently has been in living in a test tube placed in an outerworld and recently I've noticed them picking sand and putting it in the entrance of their test tube and when i went to check up on them today i show they had completely sealed off the test tube entrance i show a litle hole in the bottom maybe they build a sort of tunnel(the colony is small aproximetaly 20 workers i show a lot of eggs today so is this normal behaviour?(i have also covered they're test tube with leaf)thanks guys its my first colony and i want to learn as much as i can about it!

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted February 27 2018 - 6:35 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
It is normal for young colonies. When the storage depots (social stomachs) are full they often close the nest entrance so other colonies cannot find and kill them.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline CatLord - Posted February 27 2018 - 7:53 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

oh nice so that means they're fed :) i will put worms for them if they ever want to come out worms will always be offered is that a good idea?to have fresh insects for them all the time even if they don't eat them?

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted February 27 2018 - 10:05 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I've noticed a lot of colonies can appear to have completely closed off an entrance but have a small hole in that pile of whatever they used to build it. Even in my Camponotus sp. nests, they have a small hole that's hardly noticeable and even majors are going in and out of it overnight.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#5 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted February 27 2018 - 12:40 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

oh nice so that means they're fed :) i will put worms for them if they ever want to come out worms will always be offered is that a good idea?to have fresh insects for them all the time even if they don't eat them?

I would not recommend you feed your ants worms (if you are referring to earthworms and not mealworms of course). Try mealworms. Easy to house and breed.

• CatLord likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#6 Offline CatLord - Posted March 1 2018 - 9:52 AM

CatLord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Good news i show some workers on the worm no its not an earthworm its this fishing bait kind of worm called the acrobat warm and i boiled it cut some of it in pieces and then froze the rest in the freezer i (small colony 20 workers aproximetaly)i show 2-3 workers arround the worm i cut i think they ate some its their first "meal"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, my first colony, begginer, lasius niger, questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users