In order of acquisition
1) Opisthopsis rufithorax (strobe ant) - 23rd Feb 2018. First nanitic 2nd April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-4#entry87126
2) Melophorus sp1. (furnace ant) black and red - 15th March 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-2#entry85809
3) Pheidole sp. red headed, black body 9mm 24th April 2018 http://www.formicult...knelli/?p=89085
4) Pheidole sp, all black 7mm, 26th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-6#entry88557
5) Melophorus sp2. - black and orange - 11th May 2018 http://www.formicult...eidole/?p=90733
6) Polyrhachis rufifemur - 22 May 2018 http://www.formicult...e-12#entry91959
7) Camponotus suffusus - colony2 - 30 may 2018 http://www.formicult...e-13#entry92882
1) Pheidole sp. red 7mm - 30th March 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-4#entry86890
2) Iridomyrmex sp. 7-8mm - 31st March 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-4#entry86995
3) in one test tube = 2x Pheidole sp. red headed/black body, largest 8mm - 13th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-5#entry88027
4) 3x, in 1 test tube - 19th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-6#entry88557
5) Camponotus consobrinus 16-17mm and chunky - 19th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-6#entry88557
6) Pheidole sp, light red head, dark red body, 6-7mm - http://www.formicult...knelli/?p=89303
7) Pheidole sp, light red head, dark red body, 6-7mm - http://www.formicult...ge-7#entry89693
8) Pheidole sp. red headed, black body 9mm - was originally part of the colony above as a dual queen setup, but she got banished... http://www.formicult...e-10#entry91111
9) 2x Pheidole antipodum? 14mm 5th June 2018 - http://www.formicult...e-14#entry93324
1) Camponotus Aeneopilosus - 28th February 2018 to 5th march 2018
queen death - RIP http://www.formicult...ce-ant/?p=85069
2) Camponotus Humilior - 22nd Feb 2018 - sold 18th March 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-2#entry86009
3) Doleromyrma sp. colony - 27th match 2018 http://www.formicult...ce-ant/?p=86637
possibly Doleromyrma species, ID thread http://www.formicult...tralia-2732018/
Released back to wild - 2 April 2018 - queen seems to have disappeared... dead or killed...
4) Tetramorium bicarinatum queen - 28th March 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-4#entry86734
5) Pheidole sp. smaller red 6mm - 6th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-4#entry87419
6) All black Pheidole queen, 7mm - she was with the above queens, and they munched on her, moved to new test tube, but even missing limbs and part of one antenna she laid eggs - 13th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-5#entry88027
RIP - drowned in honey
7) large Melophorus sp. queen 12-13mm http://www.formicult...ge-7#entry89321
Queen died RIP http://www.formicult...eidole/?p=90978
8) Iridomyrmex reburrus? - 11mm queen (red headed meat ant) - 12th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ce-ant/?p=87955
traded for my black and orange melophorus colony
9) Iridomyrmex biknelli - 19th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-6#entry88557
10) Camponotus suffusus - colony1 - 22 May 2018 http://www.formicult...-11#entry91958
to 29 May 2018 queen death - RIP http://www.formicult...e-12#entry92480
Merged the surviving 2 nanitics and 4 larvae with colony 2 - http://www.formicult...e-13#entry93245
11) Iridomyrmex purpureus queen - 29th May 2018 http://www.formicult...ifemur/?p=92647
Queen RIP 5th June 2018 http://www.formicult...e-14#entry93448
12) Camponotus humilior, part 2 - 19th April 2018 http://www.formicult...ge-6#entry88557
released 12th May 2018 http://www.formicult...e-15#entry94197
Currently I have Camponotus Humilior (maybe, ID thread http://www.formicult...ane-australia/)
When I received them there were 5 nanitics, one died the day after and go eaten by all, and the dead body got put against the water cotton wool in the tube and the cotton started going red...
see this thread for complete saga and all the juicey details!
In hindsight I should have put them straight into an outworld, and for a while I did try to feed them inside the test tube...
Anyway this ant was not something I really wanted, it was just a spur of the moment thing, so I don't really "love" them.
The whole nocturnal thing with them is off putting and they are so timid and passive
On the other hand, vibration and light, being exposed etc doesn't bother them too much.
Right now she has 4 nanitics, 1 egg and 2 larvae as of yesterday, one larvae a bit bigger than the other,
They are currently in a ghetto Chinese takeaway container "outworld", test tube and straw entrance setup.
I bought a plastic container that I will move them into, once I get an hole made, and add some sand.
I also have an Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant) queen and brood, and Camponotus Aeneopilosus (golden tail sugar ant) queen with brood and nanitics
The strobe ant queen is so "cute", with a fetching orange colour, and apparently has good eyesight, she gets restless even in a red test tube holder, which is supposed to cut down light
But she sees through it and all. She's fine though when I have her half in/out of a rolled up foam tube
When I first took a look at her, all her brood and eggs were scattered all over the test tube.
It was very cool seeing her collect all her brood and stack them neatly into a pile near the water side cotton.
She will sometimes come out of the dark side of the test tube and have a look around in the lit side of the test tube at the entrance, I think she maybe looking for a way out..
Anyway she has much more personality than the above queen which is very passive.
Her brood are about about medium sized so it will be a while till nanitics arrive. I hear strobe ants are very slow to develop.
A similar species in the wild, my one has a black head - note their blipping, teleport style movement!
The Camponotus Aeneopilosus queen was about me wanting a fun large'ish ant that would respond and be active during the day, unlike most Campontous ants around here
I'll try and get some photos of them soon.
And give them some names
I have two Tarheel Ants Atom C that I will most likely move the Opisthopsis strobe ant and Aeneopilosus queen into.
The strobe ant should be easy enough, and have her sit in it, all plugged up like a test tube setup - does she need water, when set up like this?
Then when she has nanitics I can drop it straight into one of my two outworlds, and it'll be like an Inception Chamber.
Edited by CoolColJ, June 17 2018 - 1:14 AM.