• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis Imparis not laying eggs??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 21 2018 - 8:47 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I recently caught over a dozen prenolepis imparis queens, and had a question about them. Only a few, maybe two, out of the 30 or so have started laying, and they have no more than 1-2 eggs. Someone from my area caught two and experienced the same thing. Anyone know what I can do?

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#2 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 21 2018 - 8:59 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

I recently caught over a dozen prenolepis imparis queens, and had a question about them. Only a few, maybe two, out of the 30 or so have started laying, and they have no more than 1-2 eggs. Someone from my area caught two and experienced the same thing. Anyone know what I can do?

How recently did you get them? Though keep in mind some queens start laying within a few minutes, some a few hours, some a few days, some a few weeks, sometimes even after a month or two. Also depends if they are comfortable, have you noticed them clean themselves in the test tube you have them in?

#3 Offline Reevak - Posted February 21 2018 - 9:06 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

My Prenolepis from last year took a little over a week before they started laying.

• Gabraime likes this

#4 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 21 2018 - 11:44 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

How recently did you get them? Though keep in mind some queens start laying within a few minutes, some a few hours, some a few days, some a few weeks, sometimes even after a month or two. Also depends if they are comfortable, have you noticed them clean themselves in the test tube you have them in?

I'm the other person he's talking about. Prenolepis imparis have weird egg-laying behavior and it is said that they need cold temps to lay, but others say they only will lay after estivation around November. It's been 20 days and they haven't laid.

#5 Offline ultraex2 - Posted February 22 2018 - 7:03 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

They should lay eggs - I caught a dozen of them last year and it took a few weeks for them to lay eggs and about 2.5 months for those eggs to hatch.  As long as you keep them undisturbed they should be fine.

#6 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 22 2018 - 9:45 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I'm the other person he's talking about. Prenolepis imparis have weird egg-laying behavior and it is said that they need cold temps to lay, but others say they only will lay after estivation around November. It's been 20 days and they haven't laid.

No, they do not only lay in november, no worries, I have caught queens of them in previous febuarys whom have layed within a few days. But honestly the queens pick when and if they wish to lay. I kept my colonies away for 2-3 weeks without everrrrr taking them out of the dark during that time, and by the time I took them out they had several batches.

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 22 2018 - 9:47 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Ok, I guess I'll just not check on them for a couple weeks and see what happens.

#8 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 22 2018 - 9:49 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I have had them for almost three weeks. They have exhibited grooming behavior, which is another reason why I am so confused. Infertility can't be a factor because if all my queens are unwinged, I'm bound to have a few that are fertile, even if it's not the best method of telling (out of the 30+ queens I have).

#9 Offline Gabraime - Posted February 22 2018 - 5:29 PM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
that's why I like solenopsis species, they grow fast and is interesting to see when they sting...

#10 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 22 2018 - 7:43 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I see, well you will have eggs sometime this year, no doubt, just leave them in the dark for maybe another week or two, or a month.

Edited by CamponotusLover, February 22 2018 - 7:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users