• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Odd Ant Things Happening Outside

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 21 2018 - 3:55 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
So something odd happened yesterday. I witnessed a colony releasing their drones at about 5:30 pm yesterday evening here in State College, PA. I immediately assume d it was P. imparis, but there was something odd. I saw many hundreds of drones scurrying around about to fly, but the only workers I saw looked like some sort citrinella ant. They were very bright orange. I was pretty sure that Lasius shouldn't be having nuptial flights this early. So, I'm not sure what type of ants I was really witnessing. Also, the temperature was dropping fast. Why were so many males out while it was getting so cold? And aren't the princesses supposed to follow the release of the drones? Can someone maybe shed some light on this situation?

Edited by Works4TheGood, February 21 2018 - 3:56 PM.

~Dan

#2 Offline Penguin - Posted February 21 2018 - 4:05 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm not sure about the type of ant but, a few days before Princesses exit, many species may release their males before a major flight, or the colony realized they couldn't support their males through the winter (queens are more "valuable" in the long run) and discharged them early. 

Edited by Penguin, February 21 2018 - 4:06 PM.

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted February 21 2018 - 4:44 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I've seen many "citronella ant" nuptial flights in the past month. I was seeing queens even back in December.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, February 21 2018 - 4:44 PM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 21 2018 - 6:10 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

You're not alone. My brother and I found a Lasius claviger flight in Philadelphia, today; we caught several queens.

Edited by VoidElecent, February 21 2018 - 6:24 PM.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted February 21 2018 - 6:16 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Males generally exit first, but in some cases colonies will only produce one of the two. Just males or just queens.

Edited by T.C., February 21 2018 - 6:17 PM.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#6 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted February 22 2018 - 6:36 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
Based on the feedback above, I'm now guessing that the colony was some type of Lasius and that they never released their queens that day. It's way too cold and wet now. It was 34 degrees outside and pouring rain.
~Dan

#7 Offline NorthEdge - Posted February 22 2018 - 7:33 PM

NorthEdge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Perhaps it was Lasius interjectus. They have a reputation for nesting in and near buildings. Although they naturally tend to fly around May and June, the colonies associated with buildings can end up flying in very early spring. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users