• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving from test tube to Talus?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 27 2014 - 5:04 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

If I were to buy a talus from Tar Heel Ants, how would you recommend I move my ants from the test tube set up they are currently in.  

Also, if anyone recommends not moving them to the talus, please tell me why.

Thanks,

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 27 2014 - 5:07 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

SHAKE THEM IN!!! :D No, in all honesty, the suggested way is to connect the test tube to the Talus, but this takes too long, right? I forcefully shake all my ants out of test tubes... Although Pogonomyrmex need to be treated extra gentle, they also have really bad grip, so no shaking would really be necessary. Just dump them gently into it, and then they will find their way into the chambers.

#3 Offline dean_k - Posted December 27 2014 - 5:22 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I urge you to use mini-hearth for your colony if you feel you must relocate them -> http://www.tarheelan...ini_hearth.html

Talus is a good choice but remember this. You can't relocate your colony easily.

Personally, I would not move your colony right now. Let them grow in numbers (10+) for now.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 27 2014 - 6:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Don't worry about the brood either, they will search everywhere until ever single one is found and put them all back where they want them.

• BugFinder likes this

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 27 2014 - 8:24 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I'm really not a fan of test tubes and my Pogonomyrmex seem happy in the Talus. Nothing bigger though until the colony gets larger. Pogonomyrmex aren't as difficult to shake in since they don't climb walls easily. I've also connected the tube to the Talus using vinyl tubing, cover the Talus with cloth to make it dark, and point a lamp at the test tube. The heat and light make them boogie pretty quick.

• BugFinder likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users