• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Some questions about heating cable.

questions help heating cable ok

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 18 2018 - 7:05 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

So I bought the 11.5 foot heating cable from tarheel ants (though I do wish it wasn't that long, as I hope it's length won;t cause problems), but I have never used a heating cable before so I have a few questions.

1. What length of time periods should I keep the cable on for?
2. How often should I turn the cable on?
3. Is it good to use heating cables for P. Imparis?
4. How much heat does it provide?
5. Is it gonna be a fire hazard and what precautions should I take if so?

Thank you. (also I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post in, I always mess this up the most)

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 18 2018 - 7:13 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Heating cables should remain powered at all times except when the ants are hibernating.  There is no on/off switch.

Prenolepis imparis should never be heated.  They actually require cooler temperatures for brood development.

You will feel how warm it is.  It should not be hot enough to burn your skin.  It provides a small amount of heat to a very local area (maybe 20 to 30 F over ambient).  Avoid coiling it or wrapping it around test tubes.  Simply lay the cable on one side of the test tube or formicarium being heated.  Used like this, there should be no fire hazard.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 18 2018 - 7:15 PM.

• Ant Broski and Mettcollsuss like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 18 2018 - 7:23 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Heating cables should remain powered at all times except when the ants are hibernating.  There is no on/off switch.

Prenolepis imparis should never be heated.  They actually require cooler temperatures for brood development.

You will feel how warm it is.  It should not be hot enough to burn your skin.  It provides a small amount of heat to a very local area (maybe 20 to 30 F over ambient).  Avoid coiling it or wrapping it around test tubes.  Simply lay the cable on one side of the test tube or formicarium being heated.  Used like this, there should be no fire hazard.

Thank you, though, by when turning it on or off, I mean, unplugging and plugging, as I am not sure I will be able to keep it on 24/7, is that a bad thing? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: questions, help, heating cable, ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users