• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Weird Post-Hibernation Behavior

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 17 2018 - 9:56 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Earlier today, I took my Camponotus hyatti colony of 30 workers that I bought from a GAN Farmer in Sacramento, out of hibernation. They've been in a wine cooler set to 45 degrees since November 11. A few minutes after taking them out and putting them in my room which was about 74 degrees, they looked as if they came back to life. Then about an hour later, I saw a major and minor lying on their side, seemingly lifeless. I thought maybe they were too warm so I put the colony in my garage which had cooler temps and almost immediately the major and minor got back up. I left them in my garage for 1-2 hours, then moved them to my dining room where it was room temperature. When I checked around 6 PM, I saw that the queen was now lying on her side, with only little antennae movement. I let them be for about 3 hours and at 9 PM I checked on them and the queen was still lying on her side with little antennae movement. I put them back in the wine cooler thinking I might have taken them out of hibernation too early, and checked up on them 30 minutes later and saw that queen had more movement. Any thoughts? Did I take them out too early?

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted February 18 2018 - 2:59 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

They probably prefer a gradual temperature rise. Also don't forget that Camponotus are really big ants and it takes them quite a while to wake up - some queens and majors may need up to two weeks to fully wake up. Northern Camponotus queens not moving for several days after taken out of hibernation is nothing uncommon.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 18 2018 - 9:00 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

They probably prefer a gradual temperature rise. Also don't forget that Camponotus are really big ants and it takes them quite a while to wake up - some queens and majors may need up to two weeks to fully wake up. Northern Camponotus queens not moving for several days after taken out of hibernation is nothing uncommon.

Okay, thanks a lot. Does this also go for the small Myrmentoma Camponotus species?

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 18 2018 - 9:06 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yes, just not as long as the larger ones.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#5 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 18 2018 - 9:43 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Alright I guess I'll just leave em out then

#6 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 18 2018 - 2:21 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

As the others said, it does indeed take longer for Camponotus Species to wake up, sometimes even weeks, the moving back and forth of temperatures isn't reccomended btw. You are also likely to see the workers up and active before the queen but it really depends. 

• Penguin likes this

#7 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 18 2018 - 4:24 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

As the others said, it does indeed take longer for Camponotus Species to wake up, sometimes even weeks, the moving back and forth of temperatures isn't reccomended btw. You are also likely to see the workers up and active before the queen but it really depends. 

Thanks for the input. It was confusing to see the queen be active then go back to a hibernation state.

#8 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 18 2018 - 4:31 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Thanks for the input. It was confusing to see the queen be active then go back to a hibernation state.

My pleasure, you might also see some inactivity or, (not sure if this is the right term but,) "diapause", here and there until Summer starts. But I don't know if it is the same for you since you live in Cali. 

#9 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 18 2018 - 4:51 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

My pleasure, you might also see some inactivity or, (not sure if this is the right term but,) "diapause", here and there until Summer starts. But I don't know if it is the same for you since you live in Cali. 

Thanks for the advice. This is my first time putting a colony in hibernation so its a new experience for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users