• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A Guideline to Posting on Formiculture.com

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Offline T.C. - Posted February 17 2018 - 10:35 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I don't really agree with 4 and 8. I don't care if the entire side bar is one person's posts, as long as they are good posts. That's all that matters to me. As for bringing back old topics, as long as they are still relevant, and someone has something new to bring to the discussion, what's wrong with bringing the topic back? This is something most every forum hates, but I never can understand why. Again, it's all a matter of whether or not it's a good post or not, in my opinion.

As for bringing up old topics, if it's an Old ID request or unanswered post, I think it's okay. But old discussions, I think it's unnecessary. I agree. If they are good posts. in the sidebar, that's fine. But how good of posts where these?

Edited by T.C., February 17 2018 - 10:36 AM.

• Martialis likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#22 Offline Serafine - Posted February 17 2018 - 11:01 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I like when Drew bulk-updates his journals and the entire newsfeed turns yellow :sarcastic:

• Reacker, VoidElecent and Mettcollsuss like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 17 2018 - 1:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't really agree with 4 and 8. I don't care if the entire side bar is one person's posts, as long as they are good posts. That's all that matters to me. As for bringing back old topics, as long as they are still relevant, and someone has something new to bring to the discussion, what's wrong with bringing the topic back? This is something most every forum hates, but I never can understand why. Again, it's all a matter of whether or not it's a good post or not, in my opinion.

As for bringing up old topics, if it's an Old ID request or unanswered post, I think it's okay. But old discussions, I think it's unnecessary. I agree. If they are good posts. in the sidebar, that's fine. But how good of posts where these?

Not sure what your point is here. If it's that Alabama Anter's posts were mostly garbage, we all know that already.

• dermy, noebl1, Nathant2131 and 2 others like this

#24 Offline T.C. - Posted February 17 2018 - 1:37 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
What I mean is... sometimes just not as bad, you see similar situations.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#25 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 17 2018 - 6:30 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

What an actually productive and useful thread. Thanks, T.C.

Edited by VoidElecent, February 17 2018 - 6:31 PM.

#26 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted February 17 2018 - 6:59 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

I agree with most of this. My solution for things such as cases where you want atleast a guess of what species your ant may be but you can only provide a crappy picture, color and size (all in all not enough information to get a confirmed identity and not enough info to complete the identification template) I just ask in the chat hoping for answers or I dm Milta for a guess, as I will get no proper answers due to my lack of info in my thread while also pushing down other peoples threads whom have more important subjects they need help with.

The only ones I disagree with is discussing old topics and posting alot.
I'd say, if you do post alot and fill the whole sidebar, it should be fine, aslong as the majority of what your posting has some intelligence involved and helps/involves the topic of the thread.
And bringing old topics back seems like a good thing, to add more to a discussion, and more to think about, plus showing posts that might help newer ant keepers instead of them having to post another thread of the same subject to get answers to their questions.

But mostly I agree with ya!

just my opinion though!

Edited by CamponotusLover, February 17 2018 - 7:01 PM.

#27 Offline Reacker - Posted February 17 2018 - 7:18 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

I just want the dislike button back for real.

• Zeiss, gcsnelling, Kevin and 1 other like this

#28 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 17 2018 - 8:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I just want the dislike button back for real.

You lost the vote on that one. #democracy

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#29 Offline Reacker - Posted February 17 2018 - 8:11 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

WTF I hate democracy now

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 18 2018 - 2:59 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

...plus showing posts that might help newer ant keepers instead of them having to post another thread of the same subject to get answers to their questions.

That's another good point. Why create more and more topics asking the same questions over and over, when you could just continue the exact same discussion on a thread that already exists? It just makes searching for answers much harder.

• Nathant2131, Bracchymyrmex and VoidElecent like this

#31 Offline GeorgeK - Posted February 18 2018 - 10:32 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Together, we can make Formiculture great again!

And we shall build wall, a great wall, and the argentines will pay for it!

#32 Offline Martialis - Posted February 18 2018 - 10:40 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

WTF I hate democracy now

We should have referendum after referendum until you win.

Spoiler

#33 Offline GeorgeK - Posted February 18 2018 - 11:52 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

WTF I hate democracy now

We should have referendum after referendum until you win.

Or until Russian hackers intervene

• drtrmiller and Martialis like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users