• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dorymyrmex bicolor ?

queen

Best Answer Jadeninja9 , February 15 2018 - 6:58 PM

It is Dorymyrmex bicolor 100%. For some reason, I've been looking at Dorymyrmex Bicolor queens a lot online and she looks exactly like one.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted February 15 2018 - 5:21 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Just catch this queen today wandering near Dorymyrmex bicolor nests with alates running in and out of nest, like they were ready to fly but not sure.

https://photos.app.g...1pFLS4GcEROcZx1

If you want to see more of the other images (3 arent ant related):

https://photos.app.g...k0R9wBsUtd2kmF2

What time of day do they fly? Cause there will be a swarm of them soon.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#2 Offline Hunter - Posted February 15 2018 - 6:18 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine
I would PM drew

#3 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 15 2018 - 6:58 PM   Best Answer

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

It is Dorymyrmex bicolor 100%. For some reason, I've been looking at Dorymyrmex Bicolor queens a lot online and she looks exactly like one.

#4 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted February 15 2018 - 8:18 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Thanks, pretty sure it is.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#5 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 15 2018 - 8:58 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

No problem

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted February 15 2018 - 9:15 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Well I scoured the ant mating chart for all things Dorymyrmex. Anyways the chart was mostly dominated by D. insanus (followed by D. bicolour, D bureni, Dorymyrmex sp. and D. flavus). D. insanus  basically flew anytime anyday.

Most D. bicolor flights happened on between March and July, although the earliest flights took place in Febuary and the latest in November. They either flew in the morning (around 8AM I presume) or later in the afternoon (around 12-5PM, latest recording was 8PM). Nearly always fly after rain and humidity ranged from 30% to 80% (averaged out to 53%). Temperatures were always in the 70-80°F range.

Those yellow ants I think they might be D. flavus. Which on the two records of flights in the mating chart (Texas and CA) they flew during late summer (Sept & Oct) in the morning and afternoon respectively.

No forum post and amount of time has been wasted this inefficiently. I am absolutely baffled to why someone would do this. ever.

-Nurbs, probably 

Edited by LC3, February 15 2018 - 9:17 PM.

• StopSpazzing likes this

#7 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 15 2018 - 9:26 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Well I scoured the ant mating chart for all things Dorymyrmex. Anyways the chart was mostly dominated by D. insanus (followed by D. bicolour, D bureni, Dorymyrmex sp. and D. flavus). D. insanus  basically flew anytime anyday.

Most D. bicolor flights happened on between March and July, although the earliest flights took place in Febuary and the latest in November. They either flew in the morning (around 8AM I presume) or later in the afternoon (around 12-5PM, latest recording was 8PM). Nearly always fly after rain and humidity ranged from 30% to 80% (averaged out to 53%). Temperatures were always in the 70-80°F range.

Those yellow ants I think they might be D. flavus. Which on the two records of flights in the mating chart (Texas and CA) they flew during late summer (Sept & Oct) in the morning and afternoon respectively.

No forum post and amount of time has been wasted this inefficiently. I am absolutely baffled to why someone would do this. ever.

-Nurbs, probably 

Is that quote from the wakka thread?

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 16 2018 - 3:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Look around for small mounds of dirt about the size of a quarter. That will tell you they flew.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users