• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A few Questions re Lasius Niger

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntManLuke - Posted February 15 2018 - 7:01 AM

AntManLuke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, just joined this forum and it seems quite awesome just have a few minor questions about my new lasius niger queen.

I have obviously done a LOT of research but seen some conflicting information.

Background info: My Lasius Niger queen (Antlizabeth) came yesterday from a good uk seller in a test tube set up with a free acrylic founding chamber, she only has 2 eggs that I can see so far and seems healthy.

Questions:
1. She was hibernated from November to now and she is very active should I presume she is ok to stay in the warm house now?

2. I have seen conflicting information about feeding Claustral queens but decided to give her some sugary protein jelly is this an okay food source for a founding queen?

3. Is it worth moving her into the founding chamber or should I leave her in the cosy test tube and wait for my first couple of workers?

Thanks for reading.

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted February 15 2018 - 7:27 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Hey, just joined this forum and it seems quite awesome just have a few minor questions about my new lasius niger queen.

Background info: My Lasius Niger queen (Antlizabeth) came yesterday from a good uk seller in a test tube set up with a free acrylic founding chamber, she only has 2 eggs that I can see so far and seems healthy.

Questions:
1. She was hibernated from November to now and she is very active should I presume she is ok to stay in the warm house now?

2. I have seen conflicting information about feeding Claustral queens but decided to give her some sugary protein jelly is this an okay food source for a founding queen?

3. Is it worth moving her into the founding chamber or should I leave her in the cosy test tube and wait for my first couple of workers?

Thanks for reading.

1. i would give her the full 4 months that i have seen a few of the more prominent people post here say

2. while normally you don't have to feed a fully claustral queen i don't think the small drop you gave her will have a negative impact on her

3.leave her in her test tube. idk how many workers she needs to move but from readings i read people say 25 or until the test tube looks crowded which is subjective but test     tube set up is always a good start for a queen

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline Hunter - Posted February 15 2018 - 7:34 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

just a FYI sugary protein jelly is not the best thing for them i would recommend some feeders and honey, homey-water,ect next time

#4 Offline ZllGGY - Posted February 15 2018 - 7:50 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

just a FYI sugary protein jelly is not the best thing for them i would recommend some feeders and honey, homey-water,ect next time

i do agree with the feeders and honey, i had a queen who loved her roaches but sadly didn't make it. also have fruit flies for those picky species too

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#5 Offline AntManLuke - Posted February 15 2018 - 8:39 AM

AntManLuke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay thanks guys for the information, I have read a couple of things saying the protein jelly (made of bugs sugar and gelatin) is good for ants. I did not realise this wasn't the case, is there any reason why?

#6 Offline Hunter - Posted February 15 2018 - 8:56 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Okay thanks guys for the information, I have read a couple of things saying the protein jelly (made of bugs sugar and gelatin) is good for ants. I did not realise this wasn't the case, is there any reason why?

Think about it they are wild, and will always be wild, you are trying to feed something made by humans to a wild thing, and in order to make the jelly you need to heat up and destroy most of the things they need in the insect,

• Jonathan21700 and AntManLuke like this

#7 Offline AntManLuke - Posted February 15 2018 - 12:09 PM

AntManLuke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok that makes sense so what if I feed her a small piece of mealworm a week and a drop or 2 of honey water?

I've read that feeding fully claustral queens can boost egg production so even though she COULD survive on nothing I'd rather not make her if you know what I mean.

Sorry for all the questions I want to make sure I raise them in a healthy yet natural way.

#8 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 15 2018 - 12:35 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
It is okay to feed her a small drop of honey wen you first get her, but after that, wait for the first worker, then you can start feeding them.

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 15 2018 - 1:27 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Questions:

Thanks for reading.

1. i would give her the full 4 months that i have seen a few of the more prominent people post here say

2. while normally you don't have to feed a fully claustral queen i don't think the small drop you gave her will have a negative impact on her

3.leave her in her test tube. idk how many workers she needs to move but from readings i read people say 25 or until the test tube looks crowded which is subjective but test     tube set up is always a good start for a queen

They don't need a full 4 months, if she's laying eggs then she is fine. 

The protein jelly is good while its mixed with bugs too. I do not know where Hunter's facts come from, they seem like opinions, really.

Just leave her be until her first workers, she'll be just fine. 

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted February 15 2018 - 1:28 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If she is very active and has EGGS I wouldn't put her back to hibernation (eggs don't survive hibernation, only larvae do). Four months is a bit on the short side but should be sufficient especially for the first year.

You can offer her a small (small!) drop of sugar water or honey. Put it onto a small sheet of tinfoil or plastic and remove it after 2 days (it will mold).
If (and ONLY if) she seems to have trouble raising brood (like when she's repeatedly eaten her larvae despite you not looking at her more than once a week) you can offer her a dead fruit fly or a small dead spider.

Jelly is generally not a good food for ants. The best food for small ants like Lasius niger is some sugary liquid (sugar water, diluted maple syrup) in a safe feeder (like the byFormica Galileo feeders) or applied in REALLY small drops (so the ants cannot drown in them) and protein in the form of dead insects (fruit flies work very well for small colonies and stay fresh for a long time in the freezer).

3. Is it worth moving her into the founding chamber or should I leave her in the cosy test tube and wait for my first couple of workers.

No, leave her in the tube until it runs dry. Lasius niger does NOT like to relocate unless absolutely necessary, they have a reputation for that.
A regular 150mm long test tube setup can easily give shelter to hundreds of Lasius niger workers.

Edited by Serafine, February 15 2018 - 1:30 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline ZllGGY - Posted February 15 2018 - 1:40 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Questions:

Thanks for reading.

The protein jelly is good while its mixed with bugs too. I do not know where Hunter's facts come from, they seem like opinions, really.

i was just going by what i have read on the forum as more of a general rule, which in hindsight i should of mentioned that 

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#12 Offline Hunter - Posted February 15 2018 - 6:10 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Questions:
Thanks for reading.

Lol my facts come from 8 years of growing feeder insects

#13 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted February 16 2018 - 10:59 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Just a tip: the moment she gets a few workers give them an outworld makes things much better. And also, if you want proper colony growth feed them protein as much as they can take especially when they have larvae, irregular feeding will result in poor colony health, larvae eating and population decline. Be sure not to stress them too much, checking 1-2 times a week should be OK. Good luck!

Edited by Jonathan21700, February 16 2018 - 11:00 AM.

• rdurham02 likes this

#14 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 16 2018 - 2:24 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Questions:
Thanks for reading.

Lol my facts come from 8 years of growing feeder insects

You growing feeder insects for your whole life has nothing to do with protein jelly. 

• Reevak likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users