• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jadeninja9's Camponotus hyatti Journal

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#141 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 28 2019 - 2:37 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
These colonies grow up to a couple hundred individuals at maturity, not more than 1,000 if I remember correctly.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#142 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 28 2019 - 4:42 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

These colonies grow up to a couple hundred individuals at maturity, not more than 1,000 if I remember correctly.

Thxs! :)

Spoiler

#143 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 29 2019 - 7:42 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
Eh I’ll do an update like next Thursday

#144 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 30 2019 - 5:41 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Classic procrastination.
  • Jadeninja9 and AntsBC like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#145 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted October 10 2019 - 6:51 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Update: (October 10, 2019)

Yes, I know that on May 29th I said I'd update this journal the following Thursday. It's been five months and to be honest since then there hasn't been much to say or currently say. The colony fell into monotony and their population has plateaued in proportion to how often I feed them so as of now there's no point in future updates. The next will probably be on the death of the colony or if/when I sell them.

I really don't know how much I'd price this colony so it would be appreciated if anyone who's read this journal in the past could tell me how much they'd hypothetically be willing to pay.

#146 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 10 2019 - 7:31 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Noooo, I love your colony so much. I hope they do well in the future. I would pay around 120 without nest and out world, with nest 150. (I'm totally not cheap)

Edited by EthanNgo678, October 10 2019 - 7:35 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Plants r cool

#147 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted October 10 2019 - 7:44 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Noooo, I love your colony so much. I hope they do well in the future. I would pay around 120 without nest and out world, with nest 150. (I'm totally not cheap)

Thank you!

• EthanNgo678 likes this

#148 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 10 2019 - 7:49 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
OK Ethan. You can have them if you continue the journal. ;)
  • EthanNgo678 likes this

#149 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted October 10 2019 - 7:52 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

OK Ethan. You can have them if you continue the journal. ;)

Souds good!  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Plants r cool

#150 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 11 2019 - 3:57 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Repletes?
Those are huge majors though.

A replete is any worker designed to act as living food storage right? Yeah, they are pretty huge.

Repletes are usually found in the honeypot species such as Mrymecocytus or Prenolepis. They are also stationary; they don’t move a lot. These could be workers with distended gasters, showing the tissues and food inside.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I have read, any worker that serves as a food storage is considered a replete. However, in most species the line between regular worker and replete is not clear, as they look and behave very similar. For that reason, most antkeepers refer to repletes as in those of Honeypot/false Honeypot ants. The scientific definition for replete is (I think) a moving food storage (or something like that).

If I'm not mistaken, the majors of Camponotus colonies do have repletes, but not nearly as profound as said species. But there are exceptions. See Camponotus inflatus.

A replete is a specific caste of worker, and very few genera and species have them. Myrmecocystus have true repletes, as well as Camponotus inflatus. Prenolepis imparis does not have true repletes nor does Camponotus hyatti. The act of a worker being full of liquid is not what makes a replete a replete.

Edited by Mdrogun, October 11 2019 - 3:58 AM.

• wardkad2 and Jadeninja9 like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#151 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 2 2022 - 9:43 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Update: (February 2nd, 2022)

So, it's been over 2 years since the last update. Bad news... they died... Nah, just kidding. They're still alive but for the past 2 years I really neglected them and they have hung on by a thread. Their population fell and stayed low because I basically put them in a famine lol. I went months without feeding them once and they started to eat their brood and workers just to survive. I also just fell out of ant keeping in general for a few reasons. But my passion for the hobby is back and I really want to see my 5 year-old and first colony be where they should be at this year. I'm always bothering them now, checking in often, impatiently waiting to see growth and making sure I see workers eating the food I give them because they're really stealthy now with their foraging. It's really refreshing to see them with full gasters again.

They're at around 55 workers. I've fed them so little over time that the only workers they've been able to afford to produce are nanitic-sized, maybe even a little smaller. They still have majors though and I really wonder how old those are. Right now they have around 2 dozen mini larvae, no eggs lain from the queen yet, but she'll probably lay soon as long as she keeps getting consistently fed well. I'm hoping they feed these larvae more so that the next generation of workers is at least not nanitic-sized. I've been feeding them a superworm a day for about the past week and cherry jam. At first I really didn't see them eat, but I think overtime as their strength has gone back up they've been out more, plus it's winter as well so that could make them more sluggish on top of literally recovering from famine. Last year I disconnected them from their old AC outworld because it was 3 years old and disgusting and replaced it with the now discontinued AC omni-nest outworld. I had decorated it with soil and stones originally but this past week I decided to just replace everything with a tiny layer of gravel so I could observe them better and have a flat surface to feed them on.

I decided I wanted to move them back into a test tube setup. It was just more fun to watch them grow in a test tube and I got better pictures. Plus they're so small right now but taking up a lot of space because of their current setup. At first I was just gonna do a test tube + mini outworld but I got inspired by Nurbs to try to make a case formicarium instead. What I want to do differently though is instead of hydrostone/substrate to have a piece of finished wood that fits in the case for a foraging surface, just to look nicer and fit the carpenter ant vibe. The test tube will go inside an indentation in the wood. If I can't make it look good I'll probably just do the test tube + mini outworld setup. I also got a macro lens for my Canon AE-1 film camera, so I'm hoping that can compare to the quality of digital macrophotography and I can take some nice pictures. It's just that since it's a lot of effort to go from taking the pictures to uploading, because you have to develop and scan the film, doing that every update would be impractical lol. But here are some mediocre pictures for now of the colony's current setup and the colony itself. 

yN1ARvo.jpg

ePk72is.jpg

648pDVH.jpg

pfqPMjA.jpg

• Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and PaigeX like this

#152 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 2 2022 - 1:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m glad you’re back and taking better care of them.
  • Jadeninja9, Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#153 Offline antsriondel - Posted February 2 2022 - 3:27 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I’m glad you’re back and taking better care of them.

agreed, hope they do well!!!! :)

• Jadeninja9, Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#154 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 2 2022 - 4:36 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Thank you guys!
  • Antkeeper01, antsriondel and PaigeX like this

#155 Offline Crazycow - Posted February 2 2022 - 4:57 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton
Yeah I remember I did something like this a couple years ago and I neglected a colony for almost 9 months and when I came back they were down to like 20 workers. But they definitely rebounded well and had a come back. Unfortunately they died out from mites after about 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Jadeninja9 likes this

#156 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 2 2022 - 8:36 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
That sucks man. What species were they?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#157 Offline Crazycow - Posted February 2 2022 - 10:41 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

That sucks man. What species were they?

Tetramorium (sorry for spelling)

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#158 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 3 2022 - 8:55 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
You hate to see it
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#159 Offline Crazycow - Posted February 3 2022 - 8:57 AM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton
Yeah but it was awhile ago and I have a pretty good camponotus colony now

• Jadeninja9 and Antkeeper01 like this

#160 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted April 12 2022 - 5:22 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Update: (April 12th, 2022)

So, its been two months since the last update. Back then I was really hoping that the queen still had it in her to keep laying more eggs as she hasn't been hibernated in years. Luckily she has! She's lain more eggs, some have turned into larvae, pupae, and some have eclosed already. I'm really thankful that this colony has kept going all these years and I now have the chance to make it up to them. Might try making their new setup sometime soon now that they seem to be stronger. Thinking of starting another journal as well for Camponotus semitestaceus, anyone care about that?

MCnJvxm.jpg

kgIny54.jpg

Edited by Jadeninja9, April 12 2022 - 5:22 PM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users