• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why Lasius Parasites?

lasius parasite

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Reevak - Posted February 13 2018 - 12:17 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I've been wondering what reasons there are for wanting a parasitic Lasius colony, besides the fact that they are relatively difficult to start up. Are their workers more yellow than Lasius flavus workers? I know they have a citronella smell to them but that doesn't seem like a good reason to keep them. Are their workers larger than Lasius flavus workers? I don't really know since I've only ever seen Lasius umbratus workers in person once and have never seen flavus workers, so I can't really draw a comparison. Also, do they grow faster than other Lasius? I feel like I've heard that before but would appreciate confirmation. Thanks!

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted February 13 2018 - 12:24 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I think you can really divide it into two good categories: Research, and value. A successfully grown parasitic Lasius spp. colony is worth more than a Lasius flavus colony by far in the market. Not only is value money - but personal value. You might want to experience the parasitic behaviors or just know that you have a parasitic colony. For research, it's pretty self explanatory. Research on captive parasitic species is relatively limited, and it would be great to have more information on them.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Kevin, February 13 2018 - 12:25 PM.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline kellakk - Posted February 13 2018 - 12:39 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I agree with what Kevin said.  One of the reasons that people want ant colonies is to observe their biology in person.  Social parasitism is a cool aspect of ant biology, so people want to see/have that themselves.

• noebl1, Nathant2131 and Mettcollsuss like this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#4 Offline Reevak - Posted February 13 2018 - 1:36 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

So there are no size, color, or growth rate differences between the two (besides the queens)?

Edited by Reevak, February 13 2018 - 1:40 PM.

#5 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted February 13 2018 - 2:23 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

The workers look different and there different feedigs habits and growth because they're different species.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#6 Offline Reevak - Posted February 13 2018 - 3:47 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

The workers look different and there different feedigs habits and growth because they're different species.

I meant worker size and color in comparison to Lasius flavus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius parasite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users