• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus indigestion?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted February 11 2018 - 8:35 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
So my C. Chromaoides colony has about 6 workers now but its down to 5 because one of the ants, the replete, died suddenly. It had gorged itself with honey and water so much that it became sluggish and and couldn't really move. I checked on them recently and, well, it seems like its dead. Its mouthparts are sticking out and its legs are splayed out. I don't know the ant's age since I caught this founding colony during winter. What could have killed this ant? It is barely moving but I did notice that its gaster was a bit pointier than usual, like a bee or wasp. However, if it was formic acid spraying, then the entire colony would have to suffer. Does anybody know what could have happened? Thanks!

Edited by MegaMyrmex, February 12 2018 - 4:41 AM.

• NikolaBale likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#2 Offline nurbs - Posted February 11 2018 - 9:09 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

So my C. Chromaoides colony has about 6 workers now but its down to 1 because one of the ants, the replete, died suddenly. It had gorged itself with honey and water so much that it became sluggish and and couldn't really move. I checked on them recently and, well, it seems like its dead. Its mouthparts are sticking out and its legs are splayed out. I don't know the ant's age since I caught this founding colony during winter. What could have killed this ant? It is barely moving but I did notice that its gaster was a bit pointier than usual, like a bee or wasp. However, if it was formic acid spraying, then the entire colony would have to suffer. Does anybody know what could have happened? Thanks!

Need clarification. This is C. chromaiodes with a replete? It had 6 workers but now it is down to 1 because one of the ants turned itself into a replete and killed the other 5 because of indigestion? Or did it eat the other 5 and had indigestion? Sorry just trying to wrap my head around what you're saying. If someone else understands please explain!

Doubt that a replete can kill the other ants, so not sure what the issue is. Can you post pics?

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#3 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 11 2018 - 9:57 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Need clarification. This is C. chromaiodes with a replete? It had 6 workers but now it is down to 1 because one of the ants turned itself into a replete and killed the other 5 because of indigestion? Or did it eat the other 5 and had indigestion? Sorry just trying to wrap my head around what you're saying. If someone else understands please explain!

Doubt that a replete can kill the other ants, so not sure what the issue is. Can you post pics?

5 ants is a large meal

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted February 12 2018 - 3:12 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

They probably died of stress because they're a wild caught colony.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#5 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted February 12 2018 - 4:40 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
Haha sorry everyone, I meant that they had 6 workers but went down to one. The worker that died was acting like a replete because it was the only one that was filled with food. I don't know where my explanation came from but sorry for the confusion😅😅😅 The colony was collected last year during winter, so stress may not have been the complete contributing factor but I did have to move them out of their old nest in order to clean it from mold, so stress may have caused it. Also, one possible factor was overheating- I always keep them on a heating mat of some sort but since I kept them in a plaster nest, the heat was being evenly distributed. However, the formicarium broke so I moved them into a glass test tube setup, which I placed for a while directly on top of the heat mat. However, that would mean that the rest of my colonies would be dead, along with my acrobat ant quee s since they keep their brood directly on top of the heat mat. Once again I severely apologize about any confusion caused, and I hope this clarifies it.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#6 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted February 12 2018 - 7:32 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

It could have been disease, Sometimes wild caught colonies get diseases and like humans, those diseases can stay with the ant without showing severe symptoms until someday, POW! I doubt heat was an issue. If it was they would have just fried. The stress from the move might have just made them more vulnerable to a virus they already had. Another, but acute possibility, are mites. Check the remaining ants and dead worker for them. It's a possibility but I doubt that's what caused it.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#7 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted February 12 2018 - 9:50 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
The mite theory might be right, I saw a sort of pale white disc attached to one of the workers. I'll have to check on them but thanks for the suggestions!

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#8 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted February 12 2018 - 3:28 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Not trying to be rude, but it seems that every single one of your colonies has multiple problems. Do you have an idea as to why?

#9 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted February 12 2018 - 5:26 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Not trying to be rude, but it seems that every single one of your colonies has multiple problems. Do you have an idea as to why?

No, no, it's perfectly fine, I myself am asking that question actually. I guess I'm more used to faster- growing and hardier species like formica and tetramorium. Also, this is currently my only camponotus colony so far and I have never successfully raised a colony past 1 worker so I'm pretty anxiois about this colony.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#10 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted February 12 2018 - 6:12 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

No, no, it's perfectly fine, I myself am asking that question actually. I guess I'm more used to faster- growing and hardier species like formica and tetramorium. Also, this is currently my only camponotus colony so far and I have never successfully raised a colony past 1 worker so I'm pretty anxiois about this colony.

Just remember to be calm and patient. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users