• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anting in Los Angeles

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dwhbeadle - Posted August 27 2014 - 3:37 PM

dwhbeadle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey there!

It has been a while since I pursued ant keeping but am finally settled from New Zealand in Los Angeles.

With the current drought here I haven't seen many queens about (frustrating as a few months ago I was noticing nuptial flights across my travels across the US). What do those of you based out here in California recommend for finding ant species? Where would you travel for a weekend trip? Where and how should I be looking at weather patterns?

Thanks!

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 27 2014 - 4:21 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Sadly, you missed all the major flights this year...  :(

We can probably still help you out, where in the LA area are you located?

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 28 2014 - 5:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome to the forum. :)  You came to the right place if you are in Los Angeles, as there seems to be a relatively large amount of Southern California people here. Like Gregory2455 said, most flights are finished for the season, but there will probably be some Lasius flights continuing for a while in the high elevations, and Crematogaster flies pretty late too. Get ready to see a large amount of species being where you are now compared to before though. Next season will be a fun one.

#4 Offline dwhbeadle - Posted August 28 2014 - 3:46 PM

dwhbeadle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Well it's great to be here!

As fate would have it... It's hot as hell today and the gardeners are at my apt space. Did they fool the ants into a nuptial flight? At a friends down in lower Hollywood the same species was out in a humid yard.

Can anybody ID for me?

http://imgur.com/9JUsu8L

http://imgur.com/ZskuDMp

Will go out and try to catch as many as possible. Looks like a Pheidole spa. I've seen in NZ but no sign of any workers about? 

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 28 2014 - 3:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Drywood Termites. They fly quite a few times a year around here, a lot of times on hot days.

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 28 2014 - 5:50 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Definitely dry wood termites, those are entertaining to keep just like ants, and also make good food for ants. I have about 20 of them right now, if you will keep them, it is best to leave them together because unlike ants, those are both males and females, and constantly need to mate. They are also fairly easier to keep than ants, just make sure they are in a sealed environment if you want to keep them. Crematogaster are still likely to fly, there already have been flights, but I think there will be more, also if you are willing to go up into the mountains, Lasius are still flying. Where exactly are you located in the LA area?

#7 Offline dwhbeadle - Posted August 29 2014 - 1:49 PM

dwhbeadle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Amazing! I've never seen a termite before. So much exciting fauna out here, even in the city. I decided to let it out into the garden last night however. Thanks for the ID.

Great news that there are still some flights going on. I'm located in Hollywood, around the hills. I've got access to transport, where do you recommend going for a wander?

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 29 2014 - 3:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well there may be more Crematogaster flights in the suburbs, and Lasius are flying in the mountains.

#9 Offline dwhbeadle - Posted August 29 2014 - 4:13 PM

dwhbeadle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

When you say "the mountains" what area is this referring to? Somewhere I could take a hike this weekend?

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 29 2014 - 6:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When you say "the mountains" what area is this referring to? Somewhere I could take a hike this weekend?

If it's mountains where Lasius are found, it would be mountains where it snows. I would say this is generally anything above 5,000 feet. Around here, anything lower than that might get a dusting of snow once or twice during the winter, but it doesn't last long. Mountains that go up that high around here are the San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino Mountains, and San Jacinto Mountains, with the San Gabriel Mountains being closest to you. Mount Baldy is located in the San Gabriel Mountains, and that is where I just found a few different species of Lasius the other night.

#11 Offline dwhbeadle - Posted September 1 2014 - 3:45 PM

dwhbeadle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Doing this on my phone I know this isn't the right area for it! Apologies! I understand that sometimes they'll fly after nuptial flights and consequently not be fertalised queens? Here's hoping this isn't another termite

This one flew right past me next to a pool in the Sherman Oaks area.

4:45pm September 1st
I'd say about 5-7mm long

http://imgur.com/2FiNxnk
http://imgur.com/pLrMj3h

Thanks guys!

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 1 2014 - 4:55 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hmmm... I can't tell.

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 1 2014 - 5:15 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What?

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 1 2014 - 5:26 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Side View Please? The wings are blocking her waist.  Maybe it is Liometopium occidentale? <-Never mind, they fly in May.

Edited by Gregory2455, September 1 2014 - 5:28 PM.

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 13 2014 - 12:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hey dwhbeadle, I completely forgot you joined the forum a while back. I just noticed this thread that kind of died out. I never saw those latest pictures until now, and now I'm kind of curious to know what species that alate is; did you ever find out? What happened with this alate? I don't see a lot of ants from the LA/OC area that I don't recognize right away. And like Greg said, I would love to see a side view.

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 13 2014 - 2:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Maybe a thin gastered cremaogaster? She has a flat looking face like them.

#17 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 13 2014 - 2:29 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

It is for sure an ant queen though.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 13 2014 - 2:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Maybe a thin gastered cremaogaster? She has a flat looking face like them.

Oh yeah, Crematogaster... forgot about them. That would be my guess too. Crematogaster are definitely flying this time of year too.

It is for sure an ant queen though.

Certainly a female alate.

#19 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 4 2014 - 8:55 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I'm in the SGV, does anyone have any tips on locating Crematogaster? There's a number of Pogonomyrmex colonies in the dirt sidewalk across my house, but I'm not expecting much from them until their season and/or a good rain.

Anyone have any luck at Whittier Narrows or San Gabriel Mountains?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#20 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 4 2014 - 8:58 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What is the SGV? Also, I think Drew has found things there but don't take my word for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users