• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Zen - Posted April 11 2018 - 7:45 AM

Zen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

I'm wondering if anyone in the bay area, preferably east bay, is selling queens. please let me know. 

I'm wondering if anyone in the bay area, preferably east bay, is selling queens. please let me know. 

#42 Offline Zen - Posted April 11 2018 - 7:48 AM

Zen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Also wondering if anyone knows exactly when Pheidole Californica has nuptial flight, a friend has a large colony in his backyard and it would be great to catch some queens.

#43 Offline Civz - Posted April 11 2018 - 11:50 AM

Civz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
I’m in Santa Rosa and have available colonies if that’s of interest let me know
  • Pren-imp likes this

#44 Offline Zen - Posted April 11 2018 - 12:12 PM

Zen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Maybe I am a good distance away, around two hours, can you list what species you have to sell.

#45 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 11 2018 - 12:16 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

PM’ed you!

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#46 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 21 2018 - 4:34 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Camponotus is flying here near San Jose! I'll bet it's the same all over the bay. I'll be looking tonight, suggest anyone who wants them to do the same.

#47 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted April 21 2018 - 5:44 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Oh yeah, I'm checking tonight as well. There's a park in Cupertino that's apparently great for birdwatching. I hope to catch some queens, though knowing my lack of luck/skill, I won't find any :(

#48 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 21 2018 - 9:54 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Look on trees and on the ground, and you will be fine :).

Tonight wasn't great. Between me and two friends we caught one myrmentoma camponotus queen, clarithorax I believe, and a liometopum queen. Since I have the most queens, I didn't get any to keep, but that's alright :lol:.The coming days will have larger flights, so keep looking

#49 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 23 2018 - 9:40 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Today was a complete fail. Not a single queen :(

#50 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted April 24 2018 - 7:57 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
It was for me too, exept I found 2 males

#51 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted April 24 2018 - 8:46 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Dude atleast your finding stuff. I only have 11 queens in total. Only 3 different species.

#52 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 28 2018 - 9:37 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Waiting waiting waiting... Vicinus will fly sometimes this month. 83+ degree days seem to be key.

#53 Offline sericultivist - Posted April 29 2018 - 8:59 AM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Out of everywhere in the Bay Area, the actual limits of San Francisco County are arguably the worst for anting, it's a cold 60 degrees here when it's 80+ everywhere else. If I want to see anything I have to drive at the very least 30 minutes outside of the city to get to an area where it's slightly warmer, which can be very difficult when you do not own a car. That being said, I can sometimes make it work, and if anyone wants to meet up and go anting together at some point just send me a message, it'd be cool to meet more people in the Bay Area who are interested in ants.

#54 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted April 29 2018 - 11:52 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Out of everywhere in the Bay Area, the actual limits of San Francisco County are arguably the worst for anting, it's a cold 60 degrees here when it's 80+ everywhere else. If I want to see anything I have to drive at the very least 30 minutes outside of the city to get to an area where it's slightly warmer, which can be very difficult when you do not own a car. That being said, I can sometimes make it work, and if anyone wants to meet up and go anting together at some point just send me a message, it'd be cool to meet more people in the Bay Area who are interested in ants.

That would be awesome to have a big meetup. Edgewood Park, Wunderlich County Park, San Bruno Mountain, and other places would be a good spot. 

#55 Offline Zen - Posted April 29 2018 - 1:00 PM

Zen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Help with finding queens this anting season. Any suggestions on where and when to go out for anting.

#56 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted April 29 2018 - 1:04 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Help with finding queens this anting season. Any suggestions on where and when to go out for anting.

Go out every time it's at least 70 degrees. It's especially important to go out the first time it has been hot since a rain. Good places to look are places with a lot of nature. I should make a list of the good spots.

#57 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted April 29 2018 - 4:51 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Go out every time it's at least 70 degrees. It's especially important to go out the first time it has been hot since a rain. Good places to look are places with a lot of nature. I should make a list of the good spots.

Please do.

#58 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 29 2018 - 7:28 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I'll give away all my spots, except my Pogonomyrmex Myrmecocystus spot in the Santa Cruz mountains. Just dug up three Pogonomyrmex queens out of founding chambers! Next time Camponotus or veromessor andrei fly, we can organize something.

If we have an ant meet up I might say where it is, just don't want it to be overrun if you get what I'm saying. It's a really small spot, but it's a jackpot for honeypots and the occasional Pogonomyrmex.

Edited by YsTheAnt, April 29 2018 - 7:29 PM.

#59 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 29 2018 - 7:31 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Some good spots are:
Santa Teresa Park, San Jose
Stevens Creek Park, Cupertino

Edited by YsTheAnt, February 16 2019 - 4:35 PM.

#60 Offline nurbs - Posted April 29 2018 - 8:37 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Waiting waiting waiting... Vicinus will fly sometimes this month. 83+ degree days seem to be key.

They'll fly in 74F days. It's the lows you need to look at, not necessarily the highs. Heat and humidity will do it, they don't need rain.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/