• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#281 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 13 2018 - 6:03 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Rain doesn't seem to be too important for flights here. Mostly temperature.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#282 Offline Pren-imp - Posted July 15 2018 - 2:00 PM

Pren-imp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationConcord, California
Hiked 3 hours around Black Diamond Mines in the east bay. I saw several mature colonies of Myrmecocystus mimicus but no signs of queens.

I have read July is the best time find them but not sure if I should just wait for rain before looking again?

I search from 10am to 1pm. Is there a better time to look for them? Park does not let you out there after dark.

#283 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted July 15 2018 - 3:13 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Where to find da pheidole

Plants r cool

#284 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 15 2018 - 6:07 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I found one probably infertile pheidole that laid eggs near my blacklight by herself. It was a pretty hot day though.

#285 Offline Antking123 - Posted July 20 2018 - 5:08 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

Anybody here hibernate ants and if you do how and which species? Also what happens when you miss hibernation can you make it up or something? 

Thanks

#286 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted July 21 2018 - 9:51 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Anybody here hibernate ants and if you do how and which species? Also what happens when you miss hibernation can you make it up or something? 

Thanks

Many ants hibernate (I think pretty much all, except for exceptions :D ). If you want to find out which ones you have hibernate, you could search it up on antwiki, or look through the journals here to find out. It's pretty hard to miss hibernation, as it could span up to 5 or 6 months. You could hibernate the ants during different times, as the ones you keep are less affected by environmental changes.

#287 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted July 22 2018 - 12:17 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Thanks

Many ants hibernate (I think pretty much all, except for exceptions :D ). If you want to find out which ones you have hibernate, you could search it up on antwiki, or look through the journals here to find out. It's pretty hard to miss hibernation, as it could span up to 5 or 6 months. You could hibernate the ants during different times, as the ones you keep are less affected by environmental changes.

This is quoted straight from a Brian Fisher email: “Unlike in more cooler regions, ants do not hibernate in the Bay area but life cycles such a reproduction (when winged queens and males are produced) and foraging patterns are determined by the weather and climate.”

#288 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 22 2018 - 1:07 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
For Camponotus, I find giving them a diapause period anyway seems to help stimulate egg production in their second year onward.

#289 Offline Antking123 - Posted July 24 2018 - 10:02 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

Would a mini-fridge on the lowest setting work?

#290 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 24 2018 - 11:20 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I wouldn't use the lowest setting at all. A slight chill is plenty with Bay Area weather. I would try to not use mini fridges since the refridgerant can frost and cause ant deaths. I would personally not go lower than the low 50's (Fahrenheit).

Instead of a mini fridge, you may want to consider a wine cooler. They don't run too cold, so you don't risk killing your ants, and they get just cold enough for the ants to get a good winter nap.

On a side note, I saw a huge foraging trail of Prenolepis imparis today, in July! I'm guessing the variety here is way different than the ones in other regions. Not only do they forage in the middle of the summer, but their nuptials are huge with queens littering the roads along the edges of forests.

#291 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 24 2018 - 11:23 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Hiked 3 hours around Black Diamond Mines in the east bay. I saw several mature colonies of Myrmecocystus mimicus but no signs of queens.

I have read July is the best time find them but not sure if I should just wait for rain before looking again?

I search from 10am to 1pm. Is there a better time to look for them? Park does not let you out there after dark.

The M. mimicus around the Bay Area (or the CA foothills really) have flights that aren't well documented at all. I know that Drew caught one in March, but that's about it. I really want a colony of these...
  • Pren-imp likes this

#292 Offline Pren-imp - Posted July 25 2018 - 7:22 AM

Pren-imp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationConcord, California
Anyone in the bay area looking for Solenopsis molesta "thief ants"?

There are a ton flying right now in Concord. Hot nights 80+ starting at 8pm. Easiest way to catch is grab them out of water. I have caught more then I know what to do with at Newhall Park.

#293 Offline Antking123 - Posted July 25 2018 - 3:03 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

Anyone in the bay area looking for Solenopsis molesta "thief ants"?

There are a ton flying right now in Concord. Hot nights 80+ starting at 8pm. Easiest way to catch is grab them out of water. I have caught more then I know what to do with at Newhall Park.

Yeah they have been flying here in the bay area for over a month, probably one of the biggest nuptial flights and easiest species to find. Still on the lookout for S. xyloni or veromessor though 

#294 Offline xLuciferx - Posted July 31 2018 - 9:48 PM

xLuciferx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationStockton, California
I am interested in buying a Thief Ant Queen if any one has one to spare. They are sparse in the valley. Also looking for CA honeypot ants.

#295 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 1 2018 - 7:06 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

I am interested in buying a Thief Ant Queen if any one has one to spare. They are sparse in the valley. Also looking for CA honeypot ants.

I have a few thief ant queens.

#296 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 8 2018 - 6:35 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Do any of you guys keep or have kept Myrmecocystus?

#297 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted August 13 2018 - 10:36 AM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Are there going to be any more nuptial flights?

Plants r cool

#298 Offline Derpy - Posted August 13 2018 - 11:02 AM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Yeah, look forward to the fall nuptial flights, crematogaster, Pogonomyrmex, aphaenogaster, etc.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#299 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 22 2018 - 8:24 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Have you guys ever found Camponotus on a blacklight?

#300 Offline Antking123 - Posted August 25 2018 - 5:14 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

Have you guys ever found Camponotus on a blacklight?

Tried that all summer but only found some males. The only place that people have had luck finding Camponotus alates in the last month or so is in the Santa Cruz mountains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users